cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bruincoug (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23486)

Bruincoug 10-09-2008 11:26 PM

Bruincoug

I am not an alum of BYU and I don't live in Utah -- but I live and die by BYU Football, the result somehow of parents who met at BYU but neither of whom care too much for football.

At some point, my family moved to Provo when I was growing up and we had season tickets. My mom would knit, my dad wore a hat with a flatbrim and occasionally got riled up about pass interference, my grandpa would tell people to sit down and my grandma would watch my mom knit. We had 4 tickets -- and I jockeyed with my siblings to take the place of any one the above four who couldn't make it to a game. Thank goodness for weddings and funerals. Despite the fact that none of the grown-ups were really passionate fans, I became a die-hard early.

I studied Philosophy, German and East Asian Studies as an undergraduate and then went to law school. Now I practice law in Southern California (although I've already made a few laps around the Asia Expat circuit). It's been a good life, I guess. I'm nearly 30, unmarried, and a recovering bloggernacle addict. Lately, I've become a bit more hopeless than usual at being Mormon, self-medicating with more work than ever and lots of poker-playing on the side.

I have a strong Libertarian streak and am theologically quite liberal -- probably far too liberal for my current Stake and Ward.

If Cormac McCarthy were a religion, I would probably convert. I don't read much philosophy anymore, but I have been reading a lot of history (currently, early England, Shackleton & Massacre at Mountain Meadows on the bedstand). Someday, I will run away to cabin in Montana a pound out books on a typewriter aided by copious amounts of whiskey. Or, maybe I'll find a Mormon girl to marry -- I'm back and forth on this.

I nearly never post on Cougarboard, but I've been a reader off and on for years. The MWCBoard is also a favorite. Recently referred here by another one-time Cougarboarder.

Flystripper 10-09-2008 11:29 PM

Welcome. It sounds like you will be right at home here.

BarbaraGordon 10-09-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruincoug (Post 277591)
I am not an alum of BYU and I don't live in Utah -- but I live and die by BYU Football, the result somehow of parents who met at BYU but neither of whom care too much for football.

At some point, my family moved to Provo when I was growing up and we had season tickets. My mom would knit, my dad wore a hat with a flatbrim and occasionally got riled up about pass interference, my grandpa would tell people to sit down and my grandma would watch my mom knit. We had 4 tickets -- and I jockeyed with my siblings to take the place of any one the above four who couldn't make it to a game. Thank goodness for weddings and funerals. Despite the fact that none of the grown-ups were really passionate fans, I became a die-hard early.

I studied Philosophy, German and East Asian Studies as an undergraduate and then went to law school. Now I work for a practice law in Southern California (although I've already made a few laps around the Asia Expat circuit). It's been a good life so far. I'm nearly 30, unmarried, and a recovering bloggernacle addict. Lately, I've become a bit more hopeless than usual at being Mormon, self-medicating with more work than ever and lots of poker-playing on the side.

If Cormac McCarthy were a religion, I would probably convert. I don't read much philosophy anymore, but I have been reading a lot of history (currently, early England, Shackleton & Massacre at Mountain Meadows on the bedstand). Someday, I will run away to cabin in Montana a pound out books on a typewriter aided by copious amounts of whiskey. Or, maybe I'll find a Mormon girl to marry -- I'm back and forth on this.

I nearly never post on Cougarboard, but I've been a reader off and on for years. The MWCBoard is also a favorite. Recently referred here by another one-time Cougarboarder.

Hi. Welcome. I'm glad you're not a Trojan.

TripletDaddy 10-09-2008 11:40 PM

Bruincoug, welcome.

What part of OC?

PS stfu, barbaragordon!

BarbaraGordon 10-09-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 277603)
PS stfu, barbaragordon!

Eff you, DB, and your little Trojans, too.

SoCalCoug 10-09-2008 11:49 PM

Orange County lawyers are getting to be a dime a dozen around here.

Welcome, anyway. :)

What kind of law?

Bruincoug 10-10-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 277603)
Bruincoug, welcome.

What part of OC?

Irvine.

Bruincoug 10-10-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalCoug (Post 277612)
Orange County lawyers are getting to be a dime a dozen around here.

Welcome, anyway. :)

What kind of law?

Thanks, anyway. American.

TripletDaddy 10-10-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruincoug (Post 277618)
Irvine.

You are in the Ranch Branch?

I think Jennerstein is in that branch, too.

Bruincoug 10-10-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 277622)
You are in the Ranch Branch?

I think Jennerstein is in that branch, too.

Not ignoring you -- but I prefer to preserve some sense of anonymity online. I have known Jennerstein for a while.