cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Brilliant move by Bush yesterday (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297)

bluegoose 09-14-2005 07:42 PM

Brilliant move by Bush yesterday

In my humble opinion (I'm not really into the acronym thing, ie. imho), Bush's decision yesterday to accept all blame for the poor relief response was a move of genius. Finger pointing and blame seeking has a way of always filtering to the top. Everywhere you turn, there is a headline on magazines and newspapers with someone's analysis of who screwed up the worst in mobilizing relief to New Orleans. With very few exceptions, these stories went straight to the top. Terrible press coverage for a president whose approval ratings have plummetted in recent weeks.

Now I'm not saying that Washington is fully to blame in this case, because they certainly are not. There is plenty of blame to go around. But the way that Bush is attempting to deflect the attention from the slow response to future relief and rebuilding efforts is to be commended. The backlash over his admission will last for a day or two, but not nearly as long as it would have had the finger pointing game continued.

With how well Carl Rove disappeared recently from the headlines after being in that much hot water, you've got to wonder if he still isn't working closely behind the Bush politcal scene.

SoCalCoug 09-15-2005 12:55 AM

As long as it's not just lip service. It appears the disaster illuminated some administrative failings that need to be fixed before I have need of similar services.

bluegoose 09-15-2005 02:40 PM

Speaking of SoCal natural disasters...

There was an article in the local paper today outlining possible magnitude of a 6.7 quake on the Puenta Hills fault in Los Angeles. They anticipate that up to 18,000 people could die under the right circumstances.

Also mentioned was that historically a major quake has occurred in Cali every 15 years or so. As far as I can recall, the last major one to hit us was the Northridge quake back in 1994.

Anonymous 09-30-2005 05:46 PM

Features

Quote:

In my humble opinion (I'm not really into the acronym thing, ie. imho), Bush's decision yesterday to accept all blame for the poor relief response was a move of genius. Finger pointing and blame seeking has a way of always filtering to the top. Everywhere you turn, there is a headline on magazines and newspapers with someone's analysis of who screwed up the worst in mobilizing relief to New Orleans. With very few exceptions, these stories went straight to the top. Terrible press coverage for a president whose approval ratings have plummetted in recent weeks.
What else can i do with it?