cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Americans views of Mormons Gallup poll (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6860)

tooblue 03-02-2007 07:44 PM

Americans views of Mormons Gallup poll

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=26758

Interesting.

Detroitdad 03-02-2007 07:51 PM

I guess we do best with those who seldom or never attend church. Who knew?

I guess the obsession with how everything makes us look to everyone else has not had a positive effect lately. Or am I ignorant and these numbers are similar to what has been going on for decades.

MikeWaters 03-02-2007 07:53 PM

I think you are seeing the ghost of ETB in these numbers, in that he influenced a far-right trend in the church, leading to disproportionate affiliation with the GOP.

Hence the people that dislike Mormonism the most: liberals.

And let's not pretend that all liberals care about is abortion and gay rights.

tooblue 03-02-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 63699)

I guess the obsession with how everything makes us look to everyone else has not had a positive effect lately. Or am I ignorant and these numbers are similar to what has been going on for decades.

Actually I imagine the numbers were much worse, theses numbers don't look all that bad!

Detroitdad 03-02-2007 07:55 PM

In looking closely at these numbers the Republican part is the most disturbing. I guess it would be like Democrats secretly (or not so secretly) having negative views of blacks event though they are an extremely reliable portion of the parties electorate. 52% unfavorable is terrible and sobering.

MikeWaters 03-02-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 63699)

when most people actually like us we know we will have gone astray. Because we will no longer be a people separate.

I am deeply distrustful of the ecumenical movement in the church, the "let's get everyone to like us" movement.

MikeWaters 03-02-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 63706)
In looking closely at these numbers the Republican part is the most disturbing. I guess it would be like Democrats secretly (or not so secretly) having negative views of blacks event though they are an extremely reliable portion of the parties electorate. 52% unfavorable is terrible and sobering.

It doesn't matter. Most Mormons will continue to pay unto Caesar.

One of my Sunday School teachers pointed out the irony of one of the most persecuted peoples in the history of America considering themselves to be among the most patriotic, who hail Abraham Lincoln as an American hero, etc.

How easy we forget our history.

SeattleUte 03-02-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 63704)
I think you are seeing the ghost of ETB in these numbers, in that he influenced a far-right trend in the church, leading to disproportionate affiliation with the GOP.

This is crap. ETB didn't make Mormons conservative. ETB was a good son. If my view of Mormons is based on some pre 1980 paleo Mormon culture as Lebewski contends Waters is even more deluded about his people in the opposite direction. That seems indispensable to his faith. Mormonism is a moving target, I will admit.

Archaea 03-02-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 63715)
This is crap. ETB didn't make Mormons conservative. ETB was a good son. If my view of Mormons is based on some pre 1980 paleo Mormon culture as Lebewski contends Waters is even more deluded about his people in the opposite direction. That seems indispensable to his faith. Mormonism is a moving target, I will admit.

Other than attack Mike and defend yourself, what did you just say?

Are you stating ETB, who was way out there, did not paint the political culture of the Church too radically, thereby ensuring outsiders would view us negatively, given ETB's embarrassing political viewpoints, which he thankfully did not triumph as president?

DOM had to hold him in check, and thank goodness for Hugh B. Brown to counteract ETB's radical politics.

BarbaraGordon 03-02-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroitdad (Post 63706)
In looking closely at these numbers the Republican part is the most disturbing.

This is why I think Romney is out of luck. When over half your party is against you from the starting block, that's just too much of a hurdle to overcome...I don't think he can win the primary, regardless of whether he could win an overall election.