cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I need to read more books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26561)

MikeWaters 11-03-2009 10:35 PM

I need to read more books

Could use some suggestions. I would like to read Super Freakonomics.

But mainly, I am looking for fiction.

Archaea 11-03-2009 11:01 PM

I just read a quick read, a fiction work by Christopher Buckley, Losing Mum and Pup, about Chris dealing the loss of his mother, socialite, in 2007 and his dad, William F. Buckley, Jr., in 2008. I had no idea Buckley's first job was as a Spanish instructor at Yale. Go figure.

RedHeadGal 11-04-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 307861)
I just read a quick read, a fiction work by Christopher Buckley, Losing Mum and Pup, about Chris dealing the loss of his mother, socialite, in 2007 and his dad, William F. Buckley, Jr., in 2008. I had no idea Buckley's first job was as a Spanish instructor at Yale. Go figure.

I don't know, Arch, this is a strange definition of fiction.

RedHeadGal 11-04-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 307858)
Could use some suggestions. I would like to read Super Freakonomics.

But mainly, I am looking for fiction.

Have I recommended Richard Russo here? He's one of my favorite contemporary authors. I particularly like Empire Falls. Character-driven stuff.

And I recall you finding Wuthering Heights interesting, so I'd suggest you go back and read some more Victorian novels: Dickens, Hardy, Eliot.

Archaea 11-04-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 307877)
I don't know, Arch, this is a strange definition of fiction.

My mistake, non-fiction. I typed too quickly.

Levin 11-04-2009 05:27 PM

Currently reading Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. Quality escape reading.

FarrahWaters 01-15-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 307878)
Have I recommended Richard Russo here? He's one of my favorite contemporary authors. I particularly like Empire Falls. Character-driven stuff.

I've been meaning to tell you, Mike bought Empire Falls because of your rec, and I picked it up a couple weeks ago and couldn't put it down for a couple days. I loved it, definitely character-driven. Thanks for sharing, how do you like his other books?

RedHeadGal 01-19-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 309222)
I've been meaning to tell you, Mike bought Empire Falls because of your rec, and I picked it up a couple weeks ago and couldn't put it down for a couple days. I loved it, definitely character-driven. Thanks for sharing, how do you like his other books?

I'm happy to hear you liked it. A couple of years ago, I loaned my copy to a friend with my recommendation, and she later returned it unread. I saw the HBO production of it before I read it (well done, btw), and at the time I thought "I bet this is a great book." And so it was. I really relate to the small town feeling in it. Reminds my of my own home town in many ways.

I've only read two other Russo novels: Straight Man and Nobody's Fool. If you're not put off by the fact that they're all about middle-aged men trying to navigate their ways through various midlife crises, then you're good. Straight Man is more funny than dramatic. I just like the style of them because they are so rich in character development. I should go back and read others. I have the two latest on my shelf at home but haven't gotten to them yet.