cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Auburn has Florida's number (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12264)

JohnnyLingo 09-30-2007 06:24 AM

Auburn has Florida's number

It was awesome watching Urban pull the cheap "call timeout right before the snap on a good field goal" move and then have the kicker nail the second attempt to win it for Auburn.

Impressive to go into the Swamp and beat the defending national champions.

Venkman 09-30-2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 129427)
It was awesome watching Urban pull the cheap "call timeout right before the snap on a good field goal" move and then have the kicker nail the second attempt to win it for Auburn.

Impressive to go into the Swamp and beat the defending national champions.

Amen, that was awesome. Urban's a douche.

8ballrollin 09-30-2007 06:29 AM

I didn't realize that game was UM first home loss at UF, until reading a recap tonight.

Brian 09-30-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkman (Post 129428)
Amen, that was awesome. Urban's a douche.

Clever. Urban is a competitor. Never seen that done before.

But if Bronco tries it, it's just a new door approach, right?

DrumNFeather 09-30-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 129441)
Clever. Urban is a competitor. Never seen that done before.

But if Bronco tries it, it's just a new door approach, right?

It's been done a couple of times in the NFL this year.

The Broncos did it to the Raiders...and the Raiders missed the second field goal (made the first one).

The Raiders turned around and did it right back to Cleveland the following week. (Same result, first one in, second one out)

Brian 09-30-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 129444)
It's been done a couple of times in the NFL this year.

The Broncos did it to the Raiders...and the Raiders missed the second field goal (made the first one).

The Raiders turned around and did it right back to Cleveland the following week. (Same result, first one in, second one out)

Very clever. Kudos to the Broncos.

DrumNFeather 09-30-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 129445)
Very clever. Kudos to the Broncos.

Yeah, I don't know exactly what is cheap about the move if it is legal...but I think you'll see a lot more coaches start using it.

Archaea 09-30-2007 03:08 PM

Urban is a very effective coach, knows football and will win a lot of games, but he's ruthless and classless. So I wish an eternal pox upon him and his house. It won't matter as he's likely to win many more national championships. I wish it were so, but sometimes evil prevails.

I hope LSU kicks his ass, but I'm not holding my breath as the defense of LSU is suspect and Crowton has never been able to engineer a power running game, as needed in the SEC. Nonetheless it would be nice to see Crowton beat Florida if only by a field goal.

JohnnyLingo 09-30-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 129448)
Yeah, I don't know exactly what is cheap about the move if it is legal...but I think you'll see a lot more coaches start using it.

There's just something inherently wrong about having the winning field goal taken away for a reason other than your team screwed up. The opposing team should only be able to call the timeout up until the offense is set.

il Padrino Ute 09-30-2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 129494)
There's just something inherently wrong about having the winning field goal taken away for a reason other than your team screwed up. The opposing team should only be able to call the timeout up until the offense is set.

It didn't work, but there isn't anything wrong with what Meyer did. It was within the rules of the game and within the unwritten rules of fair play.