cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   The Catcher in The Rye (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20569)

RockyBalboa 07-01-2008 02:35 AM

The Catcher in The Rye

K...so it's Summertime and as part of my annual Summertime ritual of reading the classics, I just finished reading "The Catcher in The Rye" for the first time.

Question: Why in the Blue Hell is that book considered a classic?

Seriously. I know I'm not as smart as most of you, but help me out here. What in the hell is and was so great about that book? I really don't get why it's revered as a classic. After I finished, my reaction was pure incredulity because I really don't get why.

I just bought "The Count of Monte Cristo" and will be reading that next.

Mormon Red Death 07-01-2008 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 236525)
K...so it's Summertime and as part of my annual Summertime ritual of reading the classics, I just finished reading "The Catcher in The Rye" for the first time.

Seriously. I know I'm not as smart as most of you, but help me out here. What in the hell is and was so great about that book? I really don't get why it's revered as a classic. After I finished, my reaction was pure incredulity because I really don't get why.

Its a coming of age story... I think Salinger captures the teen angst perfectly. The story is unique and it was very risque for its time

il Padrino Ute 07-01-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 236526)
Its a coming of age story... I think Salinger captures the teen angst perfectly. The story is unique and it was very risque for its time

I agree with this. It had much more meaning the first time I read it when I was in high school.

Rocky - The Count of Monte Cristo is awesome. If you like revenge, you'll love this book.

jay santos 07-01-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 236525)

you don't like it because you're fake.

TripletDaddy 07-01-2008 04:25 AM

F*** You, Ackley kid.

I bet you keep your kings in the back row.

YOhio 07-01-2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 236547)
F*** You.

Easy there Triple Dad. It's not like he said West Side Story was just a cheesy ripoff of Romeo and Juliet set to some campy songs, silly dancing and in a NYC locale.

creekster 07-01-2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 236547)
F*** You, Ackley kid.

I bet you keep your kings in the back row.

You're a phony.

TripletDaddy 07-01-2008 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 236548)
Easy there Triple Dad. It's not like he said West Side Story was just a cheesy ripoff of Romeo and Juliet set to some campy songs, silly dancing and in a NYC locale.

Cinematic heresy! Natalie Wood is swimming over in her grave. Jerome Robbins is choreographing over in his grave. And Rita Moreno and George Chakiris, if not still alive, would be Best Supporting Actor and Actressing over in their graves.

TripletDaddy 07-01-2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 236556)
You're a phony.

Well I wish you would cover your bumpy old chest. It isn't such a beautiful view.

DrumNFeather 07-01-2008 12:34 PM

Seems like it took on a whole new popularity when it was well known that the guy who killed John Lennon had a copy of it in his pocket...or had asked Lennon to sign it or something like that.