cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A list of movies to avoid... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=871)

il Padrino Ute 12-18-2005 06:12 AM

A list of movies to avoid...

my wife likes to purchase several movies when they go to DVD each year at this time. My goal is to prevent her from wasting money on garbage. I'm not much of a movie fan to begin with, but it seems that each year Hollywood puts out more and more crap.

Anyway....

I'm trying to compile a list of movies that I don't want my wife to purchase because she'll want me to watch them with her, which I won't, and we'll eventually end up having an argument. so to keep peace in the home, here's my list of things I don't want to have in my home:

The Notebook - Just reading the plot summary on IMDB was enough to put this at the top of the list.

Somewhere in Time - (I've been able to avoid it on VHS/DVD for 15 years and running now. I'm not about to let this streak come to an end.)

Message in a Bottle - My wife watched this the other day on some lame tv channel and has decided that it's a must own. No way. I'd rather wax my pubes.

Stepmom - Uuugghh.

Pearl Harbor - Nice try Mrs. Padrino. It's as much about Pearl Harbor as Tianic was about the Titanic. Don't want it, nor do I need it. I already own Tora! Tora! Tora!

Anyone other suggestions as to what to avoid?

non sequitur 12-18-2005 06:45 AM

I nominate these:

1. Beaches
2. Strictly Ballroom
3. Fried Green Tomatoes
4. Anything with Meg Ryan

Indy Coug 12-18-2005 11:10 PM

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

MikeWaters 12-18-2005 11:17 PM

If you're looking for light entertainment, I would suggest avoiding "Blue Velvet."

SteelBlue 12-18-2005 11:29 PM

I have never seen a worse movie than the abomination that was "The Home Teachers". If I had a choice between watching that movie again, or having my pinky cut off, I'd grab the knife and saw the pinky off myself.

FarrahWaters 12-19-2005 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by non sequitur
I nominate these:

4. Anything with Meg Ryan

Can't you make an exception for "When Harry Met Sally"?

I thought Stepford Wives was pretty awful.

il Padrino Ute 12-19-2005 02:04 AM

non sequitur is correct...

anything with Meg Ryan, including When Harry met Sally. I didn't like that movie at all and don't understand how anyone could like it.

All-American 12-19-2005 08:37 AM

"When Harry met Sally" is the only opportunity for about 50% of the population of Cougarguard to know what an orgasm sounds like.

THAT'S why.

RockyBalboa 12-19-2005 05:05 PM

Surprisingly The Notebook was very well done.

It reminded me of my Grandparents, as my Grandma passed away from Alzheimers.

Okay aside from my moment of cheese there avoid at all costs: Mona Lisa Smiles. That movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with the opposite end of a spoon.

il Padrino Ute 12-19-2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Okay aside from my moment of cheese there avoid at all costs: Mona Lisa Smiles. That movie made me want to gouge my eyes out with the opposite end of a spoon.

That's a good one to avoid. Forgot about that.

I have a general rule of thumb when it comes to movies: if my wife wants to see it, I avoid it. Avoid it like the plague, even.