cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Selecting a good repair place (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15781)

MikeWaters 01-10-2008 08:44 PM

Selecting a good repair place

What is your guys take?

I have a toyota tundra that is flashing its "malfunction indicator lamp".

It may be nothing. But it may be something.

I'm two weeks out from the end of my drivetrain warranty. So nothing there for me.

I've never taken a non-warrantied vehicle to a dealership. Seems like they are always expensive.

What is your take?

I still haven't found a good repair place in Dallas area. Last place I went to was a disaster (window broken out, refused to cover).

I'm thinking about signing up on Angie's List and seeing if I can find some recommendations.

YOhio 01-10-2008 08:49 PM

AutoZone will do a free engine light diagnostic. Try going there first to get a better idea what your problem is, then you can narrow down your repair shop options.

MikeWaters 01-10-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 173149)
AutoZone will do a free engine light diagnostic. Try going there first to get a better idea what your problem is, then you can narrow down your repair shop options.

Thanks, I will check it out.

hyrum 01-10-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 173145)
What is your guys take?

I have a toyota tundra that is flashing its "malfunction indicator lamp".

It may be nothing. But it may be something.

I'm two weeks out from the end of my drivetrain warranty. So nothing there for me.

I've never taken a non-warrantied vehicle to a dealership. Seems like they are always expensive.

What is your take?

I still haven't found a good repair place in Dallas area. Last place I went to was a disaster (window broken out, refused to cover).

I'm thinking about signing up on Angie's List and seeing if I can find some recommendations.

Is there a Toyota Tundra online discussion group? You could state symptoms there and someone might be able to tell you what's wrong or what to check. Also someone in the group might tell you of a good independent Toyota mechanic in your area. I don't like dealership service either. Tend to be pricey.

cougjunkie 01-10-2008 09:41 PM

Just so you know my car the check engine light comes on when I am due for an oil change.

hyrum 01-10-2008 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 173187)
Just so you know my car the check engine light comes on when I am due for an oil change.

My wife's (Mazda) comes on for no reason. We've had it checked by an independent mechanic ... all is OK, he says maybe a dealer can reset it, but don't bother. I think it should be called the "generate service revenue for dealer" light.

MikeWaters 01-10-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 173187)

I'm always due for an oil change.

<rimshot>.

I just had the truck's oil changed a week ago.

Surfah 01-10-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyrum (Post 173173)
Is there a Toyota Tundra online discussion group? You could state symptoms there and someone might be able to tell you what's wrong or what to check. Also someone in the group might tell you of a good independent Toyota mechanic in your area. I don't like dealership service either. Tend to be pricey.

This is where I'd start also. Better yet, if someone you know has a scan tool, pull the code/s and then search the codes on one of these forums.

MikeWaters 01-11-2008 03:17 PM

I went to Autozone last night, but they said they wouldn't scan when it was dark, due to safety reasons.

So I went there again this morning, and they scanned and no codes came up. The lady said maybe it could be water in the gas. I bought a thing of STP treatment, put it in.

Turned on car, light is off.

The scanning, I am guessing, reset the light setting. Who knows.

ute4ever 01-11-2008 03:25 PM

Similar thing happened to me with a Camry: engine light came on; I took it to Auto Zone and scanned it, and everything came up okay. Shortly afterwards, the light went off.