cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lamont Morgan (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13655)

jay santos 11-08-2007 01:33 PM

Lamont Morgan

When we recruited this guy, we all were scratching our heads looking at his lack of stats in college and why we recruited him.

Three "games" into his college career, it's more of the same. His stats so far in three games including blue-white.

60 minutes, 2 steals, 3 turnovers 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 0 points, three shot attempts--all three pointers (one was a desperation three with time running out on shot clock--shouldn't be counted against him), hasn't even attempted a free throw.

The guy definitely can handle the ball and can defend a guard (as long as height's not an issue). I just watch him play and it's blah, nothing happening, and the stats reflect it.

cougjunkie 11-08-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 147414)
When we recruited this guy, we all were scratching our heads looking at his lack of stats in college and why we recruited him.

Three "games" into his college career, it's more of the same. His stats so far in three games including blue-white.

60 minutes, 2 steals, 3 turnovers 2 assists, 6 rebounds, 0 points, three shot attempts--all three pointers (one was a desperation three with time running out on shot clock--shouldn't be counted against him), hasn't even attempted a free throw.

The guy definitely can handle the ball and can defend a guard (as long as height's not an issue). I just watch him play and it's blah, nothing happening, and the stats reflect it.

I couldnt agree more, however in this offense it seems like the point guards main job is to get it across have court pass it to the wing, and go find an open spot on the floor. They are not required, to penetrate, move a whole lot without the basketball, or even make shots when teh shot clock is running down. As long as we have a pg that can get it across half court against a pressure defense we will be fine, the PG is one of the least valuable positions in this offense, my guess is that is by design due to the lack of depth.

BlueK 11-11-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 147414)

He didn't show up in the box score from yesterday. If he didn't play in a 40 point win he's not playing this year, IMO.

Archaea 11-11-2007 02:04 PM

They claim he's redshirting. I imagine he might redshirt to develop or transfer. He appears somebody we miscalculated on, but perhaps the coaches just wish to advance him before playing him.

RockyBalboa 11-11-2007 07:14 PM

Lamont Morgan is going to redshirt per Potkey's blog in the trib.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/

mpfunk 11-12-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 147419)
I couldnt agree more, however in this offense it seems like the point guards main job is to get it across have court pass it to the wing, and go find an open spot on the floor. They are not required, to penetrate, move a whole lot without the basketball, or even make shots when teh shot clock is running down. As long as we have a pg that can get it across half court against a pressure defense we will be fine, the PG is one of the least valuable positions in this offense, my guess is that is by design due to the lack of depth.

I would think that Rose would like to use the PGs more in the offense, but I just don't think he has been able to find one that was worth a damn. You are probably right the use of the PG is by design, but my guess is that Rose would love to change that. Of course the offense has been just fine as is for BYU. Rose is a very good offensive coach.

K-dog 11-12-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 149032)
I would think that Rose would like to use the PGs more in the offense, but I just don't think he has been able to find one that was worth a damn. You are probably right the use of the PG is by design, but my guess is that Rose would love to change that. Of course the offense has been just fine as is for BYU. Rose is a very good offensive coach.

My guess is that Rose's ideal isn't a pure pg anyway. I think his ideal would be a guy with PG quickness and ability to penetrate coupled with outside shooting. He would die for a poor man's Iverson.

mpfunk 11-12-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 149054)
My guess is that Rose's ideal isn't a pure pg anyway. I think his ideal would be a guy with PG quickness and ability to penetrate coupled with outside shooting. He would die for a poor man's Iverson.

So he is looking for a Johnny Bryant type of player?

K-dog 11-12-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 149055)
So he is looking for a Johnny Bryant type of player?

I think Bryant would be a very nice fit for what Rose does.

cougjunkie 11-15-2007 08:10 PM

At the game yesterday I saw Lamont limping a little, I couldnt tell if he was injured or if it was just the "Pimp Limp" considering all the hot ladies in the crowd. Anyone know?