cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religious Studies (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Romans 8:26 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16870)

Archaea 02-16-2008 02:49 AM

Romans 8:26

Romans 8:26:

ὡσαύτως δὲ καὶ τὸ πνεῦμα συναντιλαμβάνεται τῇ ἀσθενείᾳ ἡμῶν τὸ γὰρ τί προσευξώμεθα καθὸ δεῖ οὐκ οἴδαμεν ἀλλὰ αὐτὸ τὸ πνεῦμα ὑπερεντυγχάνει στεναγμοῖς ἀλαλήτοις

The last three words are most interesting.

traditionally, I believe it's translated intercedes with groanings that are inalterable.

However, what do you make of the third person aorist for hyperentugchanei. Why use that form if one wishes otherwise to connote a recurring event with a mood or tense indicates no habit, as I understand the aorist verb tense.

the last two words or in dative form. Unspeakable groanings.

SteelBlue 02-16-2008 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 185772)
... aorist for hyperentugchanei.

gesundhiet.

Archaea 02-16-2008 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelBlue (Post 185773)
gesundhiet.

It's present active indicative, so I'm wrong.

creekster 02-16-2008 03:02 AM

Arch, are you making this up?

Jeff Lebowski 02-16-2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 185777)

What difference would it make?

creekster 02-16-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 185779)

Because it's all Greek to me (badda boom) none from where I sit.

Archaea 02-16-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 185777)

Making what up?

Here is the aorist subjunctive in that sentence.

Praying to God, προσευξώμεθα

creekster 02-16-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 185782)
Making what up?

Here is the aorist subjunctive in that sentence.

Praying to God, προσευξώμεθα

Didn't I just read that John Ritter died when his aorist subjunctive ruptured unexpectedly? You better be careful, my firend.

Archaea 02-16-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski (Post 185779)

Well present indicative makes it clearer.

Aorist tense or mood is difficult to translate, because it can be translated in a past sense, of once recurring in the past, or weirdly in the present. Solon and AA can better explain, but translating aorist is hard for slobs like me.

For example, the praying is in aorist subjunctive. I don't remember subjunctive even existing in Japanese, in fact I'm fairly certain it doesn't exist there.

It would just be a weird feeling if one had argued the spirit will only intercede once with unspeakable groanings, but I was reading it wrong. Sorry to waste your time. Accept my apologies for screwing it up.

creekster 02-16-2008 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 185786)
Well present indicative makes it clearer.

Aorist tense or mood is difficult to translate, because it can be translated in a past sense, of once recurring in the past, or weirdly in the present. Solon and AA can better explain, but translating aorist is hard for slobs like me.

For example, the praying is in aorist subjunctive. I don't remember subjunctive even existing in Japanese, in fact I'm fairly certain it doesn't exist there.

It would just be a weird feeling if one had argued the spirit will only intercede once with unspeakable groanings, but I was reading it wrong. Sorry to waste your time.

It didn't waste my time. It's just the same feeling I get when I am in a country where they speak a lanmguage that doesn't use my alphabet. I see all the signs but I have abso-stinkin'-lutley no clue what thye mean.

More like I wasted your time, but you had to expect somebnody to make a crack or two, didn't you?