cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Jews and Mormons (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19124)

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 04:38 PM

Jews and Mormons

this debate about proxy baptisms reminded me of something I saw in the pewforum survey:

Jews are 1.7% of America.

Mormons are 1.7% of America.

Seems to me that Mormons will soon pass Jews in numbers, since Jews take in very few new converts.

Pretty soon we will have our Miltons and Shakespeares.

But even without them, we hold serve with goatnapper.

SeattleUte 05-05-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 217260)
this debate about proxy baptisms reminded me of something I saw in the pewforum survey:

Seems to me that Mormons will soon pass Jews in numbers, since Jews take in very few new converts.

Milton and Shakespeare were Jews? News to me.

Archaea 05-05-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 217260)

The lack of great artists amongst Mormons is a philosophical question which I've posed to Jewish friends. The question, other than lack of numbers, revolves around whether we've had enough suffering?

And Jews have been oppressed that they can look to circumstances with irony and levity. As Mormons we tend to shy away from irony and caustic humor. We're dry, boring and too often of pioneer stalk without color.

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 04:48 PM

I was not saying Shakespeare and Milton were Jews.

Btw, Shakespeare may have been a Jew.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...309633,00.html

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 217262)
The lack of great artists amongst Mormons is a philosophical question which I've posed to Jewish friends. The question, other than lack of numbers, revolves around whether we've had enough suffering?

And Jews have been oppressed that they can look to circumstances with irony and levity. As Mormons we tend to shy away from irony and caustic humor. We're dry, boring and too often of pioneer stalk without color.

Some might say, in addition, that we have never had a great writer among our apostates.

SeattleUte 05-05-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Too narrow. It reflects a general lack of maturity as a culture.

SeattleUte 05-05-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 217266)
Some might say, in addition, that we have never had a great writer among our apostates.

That wouldn't count (and I doubt Mormonism would claim them) but I do note that a large percentage of the great Jewish writers have not been really observant. A great many have been adulterers or fornicators or gay.

MikeWaters 05-05-2008 04:53 PM

apostate, often by definition, lack the ability to perceive the richness in the world around them that they grew up with.

SeattleUte 05-05-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 217274)
apostate, often by definition, lack the ability to perceive the richness in the world around them that they grew up with.

Non-aposteates, almost by definition, lack the ability to appreceiate the richness of the larger world around them outside Mormonism.

RC Vikings 05-05-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

revolves around whether we've had enough suffering?

Seinfeld, Stewart, Stiller, Sandler, Rickles & on and on. After the suffering we have gone through supporting Mitt Romney and being linked to the RLDS we should have a bunch of funny kids in our mist.