cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   nikuman is preparing to enter into the ranks of nobility (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9447)

nikuman 06-27-2007 02:16 PM

nikuman is preparing to enter into the ranks of nobility

or at least become a member of the land-owning class in the next month. I'm in the middle of trying to close on a house in Houston. Notwithstanding the fact that I've done tons of power plant acquisitions at work (which in theory is like buying a house, only with 100 times the paperwork), I'm a bit nervous as a first time home buyer. Any particular pitfalls that the collective wisdom here recommends I watch out for in the closing/mortgage process?

MikeWaters 06-27-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 94729)
or at least become a member of the land-owning class in the next month. I'm in the middle of trying to close on a house in Houston. Notwithstanding the fact that I've done tons of power plant acquisitions at work (which in theory is like buying a house, only with 100 times the paperwork), I'm a bit nervous as a first time home buyer. Any particular pitfalls that the collective wisdom here recommends I watch out for in the closing/mortgage process?

get that homeowner's insurance that lasts a year and covers major repairs.

FMCoug 06-27-2007 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 94729)

In Texas title companies and their fees are regulated by the state so the line items you see on your TIL should be fairly standard. The main thing to watch out for IMO is the builder "value adding" stuff like home warranties, etc. that they will mark up like crazy. Also, don't let the builder try to force you to use their in-house lender or title company. It's illegal in Texas but they do it all the time.

UteStar 06-27-2007 04:04 PM

I don't know how the market is in Houston--get the home inspection done and pay attention to it. It will show you 50 things wrong with the house, so focus on the major ones and have it taken care of.

Make sure you ask lots of questions in the closing. It drove our title company and brokers nuts, but we wanted to understand it all. Good luck.

BarbaraGordon 06-27-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 94732)
get that homeowner's insurance that lasts a year and covers major repairs.

Yes, and in Houston be sure to keep your termite coverage up to date. it'll save you a fortune!

cougjunkie 06-27-2007 06:01 PM

if it is a pre-existing home get a home warranty they are usually 250-300 and well worth it, your title company should have information on them.