cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Biggest disappointment of the year (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25043)

MikeWaters 12-21-2008 04:21 AM

Biggest disappointment of the year

is Harvey Unga. He really dropped off at the end of the year. He became Mr. Twinkletoes. Not hitting the hole hard. Slowing down before contact. Looks slow as hell. Doing nothing out of the backfield. This is a guy, who by my scouting, seemed like a sure-fire NFL player last year--I'm really doubtful of that now. Maybe he is injured. Maybe he is a head-case. Maybe he is being coached poorly. Who knows.

He was so bad that he started making Vakapuna look good.

Harvey, what the hell happened to you?

exUte 12-21-2008 04:35 AM

Perspective is what happened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 297744)
is Harvey Unga. He really dropped off at the end of the year. He became Mr. Twinkletoes. Not hitting the hole hard. Slowing down before contact. Looks slow as hell. Doing nothing out of the backfield. This is a guy, who by my scouting, seemed like a sure-fire NFL player last year--I'm really doubtful of that now. Maybe he is injured. Maybe he is a head-case. Maybe he is being coached poorly. Who knows.

Max and Bronco have the proper perspective of football. Once Unga caught the same vision, they all declined. Football is 4th or 5th priority in their lives vs. kids who primary objective is performance on the field rather than off the field.

Tex 12-21-2008 04:38 AM

These last two games have been hard to watch, and not just because they were losses.

exUte 12-21-2008 04:52 AM

Quite frankly

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 297748)
These last two games have been hard to watch, and not just because they were losses.

no one on the team gave a crap!

Someone please answer why Bronco would not take the allotted time to practice? He's even admitted he doesn't like game days. Now he doesn't like practice either?

If he has lost the fire, he should resign. No one wants a half-invested employee.

SeattleUte 12-21-2008 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 297744)

Mike, I think he's too heavy. Fifteen pounds destroyed Tim Drsdom. These guys live in a world of slim tolerances.

Archaea 12-21-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 297752)
Mike, I think he's too heavy. Fifteen pounds destro
yed Tim Drsdom. These guys live in a world of slim tolerances.

I don't think he's reading the cuts well, and reading his blocks well. Additionally Anae called a lot of wide carries for him which shouldn't be his forte.

This team was an abortion. Glad it's over.

BarbaraGordon 12-21-2008 03:42 PM

Next stop, Oklahoma.

I wonder if Bronco will find time to practice for that one. Yesterday is the first time I heard about this "other priorities" thing. That's bizarre. That's the kind of thing you do with eight-year-olds at the YMCA: "Now, I understand that football's not the most important thing in life, and these kids have lots of other interests, and I don't want to overtax anybody."

It's fine if Bronco recognizes that there are more important things in life than football, but then perhaps he's not cut out to be a, you know, football coach. Watching the team you got the vibe that they really picked up on that message from the coach ("football isn't very important, anyway"), and that's exactly how they played. Unless this attitude is being fostered deliberately by the administration, the administration might consider a little coach shopping.

ute4ever 12-21-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 297754)
I don't think he's reading the cuts well, and reading his blocks well.

He looked unprepared for what the individual defenses would bring. It's like Arizona watched tape on Harvey but Harvey didn't watch tape on Arizona.

Brian 12-21-2008 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 297760)
Next stop, Oklahoma.

The qUest ends early next year.

Archaea 12-21-2008 11:43 PM

This season showed Bronco doesn't have what it takes to bring BYU to the next level. His commitment to excellence isn't there.