cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   BYU banning skateboards (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30028)

MikeWaters 09-07-2017 05:17 PM

BYU banning skateboards

I work near a university. I see students on skateboards going to class every day.

BYU supposedly has the best students in the world, in terms of "good people." Right? That's what we tell ourselves, right? Why is that BYU TRUSTS its students LESS than any other university?

A rules-based punitive culture that until recently felt it quite fit to expel women who had been raped.

It's so weird.

Archaea 09-07-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 323195)
I work near a university. I see students on skateboards going to class every day.

BYU supposedly has the best students in the world, in terms of "good people." Right? That's what we tell ourselves, right? Why is that BYU TRUSTS its students LESS than any other university?

A rules-based punitive culture that until recently felt it quite fit to expel women who had been raped.

It's so weird.

An autocratic, punitive culture that until recently:

Expelled students who lost faith in the LDS religion, but not any other religion;

Expelled students who were in gay relationships (oops this one may still apply);

Suspends or expels unmarried students who have any sort of sexual relations;

Has rules against public displays of affection;

Punished female sexual assault victims based on information in a filed claim with police;

Forbids male students to wear beards without a special "beard" card;

and in the not so distant past:

Had experiments for shock therapy to change sexual orientation;

Forbade female students who wore pants from taking tests in the testing center;

Forbade any student from wearing jeans;

Had students spying on teachers to ensure they complied Ernie Wilkerson's mandates

And the list goes on.

There are many great things about the university, but when you convey absolute power in an authoritarian way, it should come as no surprise that some very stupid rules get enacted.

ChinoCoug 09-08-2017 02:14 AM

Have you met a skater who's bright?

ChinoCoug 09-08-2017 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 323196)
Had experiments for shock therapy to change sexual orientation;

You know that that was common practice back then? DSM classified homosexuality as a disorder. The last school to quit was the University of Washington.

MikeWaters 09-08-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323197)
Have you met a skater who's bright?

me.

Archaea 09-08-2017 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323198)
You know that that was common practice back then? DSM classified homosexuality as a disorder. The last school to quit was the University of Washington.

I believe you overstate how common it was. It was not unheard of, but it wasn't common. BYU gleefully took part.

Read this wiki entry, which seems thorough and I don't know how accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigha...y_LGBT_history

ChinoCoug 09-11-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 323201)
I believe you overstate how common it was. It was not unheard of, but it wasn't common. BYU gleefully took part.

Read this wiki entry, which seems thorough and I don't know how accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigha...y_LGBT_history

That confirmed my point. One of the best psychologists on earth, Martin Seligman at UPenn, said that results from aversion therapy were highly successful.

Quote:

At the time, homosexuality was considered by the medical community as a psychiatric condition,[68] and aversion therapy was one of the more common methods used to try to cure it.[69] In 1966, Martin Seligman had conducted a study at the University of Pennsylvania that demonstrated positive results, which led to "a great burst of enthusiasm about changing homosexuality [that] swept over the therapeutic community."[70] After flaws were demonstrated in Seligman's experiments, aversion therapy fell out of popularity, and in 1994 the American Medical Association issued a report that stated "aversion therapy is no longer recommended for gay men and lesbians."[71]

Archaea 09-14-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 323206)
That confirmed my point. One of the best psychologists on earth, Martin Seligman at UPenn, said that results from aversion therapy were highly successful.

1966 versus the 1970s. By 1973, it was no longer kosher.

ChinoCoug 09-14-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 323212)
1966 versus the 1970s. By 1973, it was no longer kosher.

You meant to say 1994.

MikeWaters 09-15-2017 01:40 AM

Hmm, Chino we are you seemingly pro-aversive therapy?