cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Some consternation yesterday over SportingNews article (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29658)

MikeWaters 02-03-2016 03:19 PM

Some consternation yesterday over SportingNews article

that said BYU likely to be left out of Big 12 expansion consideration because of Sunday play.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. The more surprising thing would be if the Big 12 changed the schedule of half their sports to accommodate BYU.

I've harped on this issue for a long time, that holding fast to this rule would likely signal the end of BYU as even sniffing big-time college sports. And I was told so many times that BYU would never compromise on this issue, nor should they.

Well don't complain when you get left out and the programs are eventually all canceled, and replaced with "excellent" intramurals.

MikeWaters 02-03-2016 03:23 PM

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...tings-schedule

Archaea 02-03-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 321184)
that said BYU likely to be left out of Big 12 expansion consideration because of Sunday play.

This wouldn't surprise me at all. The more surprising thing would be if the Big 12 changed the schedule of half their sports to accommodate BYU.

I've harped on this issue for a long time, that holding fast to this rule would likely signal the end of BYU as even sniffing big-time college sports. And I was told so many times that BYU would never compromise on this issue, nor should they.

Well don't complain when you get left out and the programs are eventually all canceled, and replaced with "excellent" intramurals.

You and I are lone wolves in the forest. Many at BYU love to see themselves as victims standing for what is right.

MikeWaters 02-03-2016 04:21 PM

yeah let's fall on our swords on the issue of not allowing the children of gays to be blessed. yeah, that's the ticket. that's the issue I want to be martyred over.

ChinoCoug 02-03-2016 04:56 PM

You guys are ridiculous.

Archaea 02-03-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 321187)
yeah let's fall on our swords on the issue of not allowing the children of gays to be blessed. yeah, that's the ticket. that's the issue I want to be martyred over.

If you can't succeed, then you need to create faux reasons for failure and then label it as the Adversary having made it so. Victimization complete.

MikeWaters 02-03-2016 07:13 PM

We axed a fundamental doctrine of the church, polygamy, because it was no longer convenient or practical.

It's funny what we compromise on and what we don't.

BYU will not compromise on Sunday play and will be left to play in the MWC or the WAC. And that's all she wrote.

ChinoCoug 02-03-2016 11:53 PM

Tax-exempt status revoked.
Temples and other properties confiscated.
Children accosted.
Violent clashes with federal agents.
Ostracization from society.

=

Shunned by big-time college football conferences.

MikeWaters 02-04-2016 02:25 PM

sports has done more to bring Mormons into the mainstream (and by that, I mean to be considered less weird) than anything else.

Getting rid of sports is a big deal. If we get rid of sports we might as well be JWs or SDAs. With a little pinch of Westboro Baptist to boot.

Archaea 02-04-2016 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 321192)
sports has done more to bring Mormons into the mainstream (and by that, I mean to be considered less weird) than anything else.

Getting rid of sports is a big deal. If we get rid of sports we might as well be JWs or SDAs. With a little pinch of Westboro Baptist to boot.

Why is it that some LDS take pride in being considered weird, unusual and difficult to work with? Is there some kind of death wish that the orthodox among us have?