cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Romney's candidancy shows me a few things (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15838)

Archaea 01-12-2008 08:01 PM

Romney's candidancy shows me a few things

I don't believe he's rejected solely on the basis of his Mormonism, but I believe it has hurt him.

He's being rejected for his lack of personalbility, his wealth and his religion. What is shows me is that a Mormon candidate has an extremely uphill possibility to win anything national.

In order to overcome some percentage of bias, as yet unknown, he would have to be a communicator, Romney is not one, have simple motos articulated in a simpleton manner, come from a large enough state like California, Texas or Florida to have a strong electoral base, and be a Democrat. He or she would benefit by being Hispanic or Black. So I doubt we ever see a successful Mormon presidential candidate.

He or she can't be a traditional Mormon, but will have to buck the trend that such person is part of a racist culture or anti-women. With Romney apparently losing in Michigan, it appears it will be McCain who could defeat Hillary but will likely be trounced by Obama.

Start buying municipal bonds, keep your income low and reduce spending. The good times are gone.

FMCoug 01-12-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 173842)
I don't believe he's rejected solely on the basis of his Mormonism, but I believe it has hurt him.

He's being rejected for his lack of personalbility, his wealth and his religion. What is shows me is that a Mormon candidate has an extremely uphill possibility to win anything national.

In order to overcome some percentage of bias, as yet unknown, he would have to be a communicator, Romney is not one, have simple motos articulated in a simpleton manner, come from a large enough state like California, Texas or Florida to have a strong electoral base, and be a Democrat. He or she would benefit by being Hispanic or Black. So I doubt we ever see a successful Mormon presidential candidate.

He or she can't be a traditional Mormon, but will have to buck the trend that such person is part of a racist culture or anti-women. With Romney apparently losing in Michigan, it appears it will be McCain who could defeat Hillary but will likely be trounced by Obama.

Start buying municipal bonds, keep your income low and reduce spending. The good times are gone.

Maybe we should draft Gladys Knight to run for President. Not sure about here politics but she fits the rest. :)

DJRoss 01-12-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

And though he has been rejected he still leads among the popular vote and currently has the most delegates. My question is where all this rejection in relation to other candidates being rejected is revealing itself.

What I see is media efforts to negate anything Romney does as being legitimate towards becoming POTUS and trumping up the efforts of other candidates as being legitimate. Sure Romney gets good press, but his negative to positive press ratio must be enormous compared to the other candidates.

So are the voting GOP public rejecting him, or is that impression we are receiving from the media?

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/R.phtml

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/pri...s/scorecard/#R

All-American 01-13-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Is Romney losing in Michigan?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/polit...ry/442508.html

Archaea 01-13-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 173914)

It appears so. His campaign is comatose.

And I don't really like a single candidate out there.

myboynoah 01-13-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 173916)

In some strange way I wonder if your negative prognostication isn't a good omen for Mitt.

All-American 01-13-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 173916)

Check that link again. As of Jan. 12 (according to that poll), Romney had a significant lead.