cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If you left the LDS church (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23395)

YOhio 10-07-2008 03:21 PM

If you left the LDS church

Would you still cheer for BYU or would you become a Utah fan?

MikeWaters 10-07-2008 03:24 PM

I have an apostate friend here in Dallas who still cheers for BYU football, even though I'm not sure he likes BYU the school.

Not only is it possible to separate LDS from BYU. But also BYU from BYU football.

BYU71 10-07-2008 03:28 PM

I know plenty of people who have good feelings about BYU the school because of the football program. If the athletic program was discontinued they would have the same feelings about BYU as they do Ricks. They don't know that Ricks changed its name.

TripletDaddy 10-07-2008 03:31 PM

As much as the U may like to consider itself the antithesis of the LDS-backed BYU, it clearly isn't.

If anything, the U is simply flotsam and jetsam that the Church jettisoned years ago. How many Utes are actually active members? Probably the majority, frankly. If not, a very significant percentage.

Real apostates would cheer for Wyoming....where there is universal hatred not only for the school, but the for the Church.

At any given Utah game, the majority of the people in the stadium are members. Boo!

landpoke 10-07-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 275939)
Real apostates would cheer for Wyoming....where there is universal hatred not only for the school, but the for the Church.

What can I say, haters gotta hate. I'll give you folks credit though, no matter how many times we burn down those creepy looking meetin' halls y'all build, you come right back and build'em again.

SeattleUte 10-07-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 275939)
As much as the U may like to consider itself the antithesis of the LDS-backed BYU, it clearly isn't.

If anything, the U is simply flotsam and jetsam that the Church jettisoned years ago. How many Utes are actually active members? Probably the majority, frankly. If not, a very significant percentage.

At any given Utah game, the majority of the people in the stadium are members. Boo!

The University of Utah turns out thousands of young apostates every year, without even fireing a shot at BYU or the LDS Church, just by doing its job as a competent university.

smokymountainrain 10-07-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 275930)
Would you still cheer for BYU or would you become a Utah fan?

My little brother left the church long ago and is as big a BYU fan as there is.

I don't think I would be any different.

ERCougar 10-07-2008 03:46 PM

I can imagine a future in which I would leave the Church. I can't imagine one in which I leave BYU football.

That's sort of sad, I guess.

MikeWaters 10-07-2008 03:51 PM

I feel bad for SU's kids.

They will never relate to his passions of apostate-ism and the Utes. Without those two things, you could blow SU over with a sneeze.

TripletDaddy 10-07-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 275962)
I feel bad for SU's kids.

They will never relate to his passions of apostate-ism and the Utes. Without those two things, you could blow SU over with a sneeze.

Speaking of SU, what the heck is going on with the family business?

A couple of months ago, a lawsuit for false imprisonment, as a passenger is forced to stow away in the toilet while a flight attendant sits in the passenger's seat.

Now, allegations of sexual harassment? Passengers brawling mid-flight?

I am almost afraid to fly on their airplane this Thursday evening.