cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Improvement and Real Estate (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Wire Gauge Question (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21228)

Clark Addison 07-26-2008 08:26 PM

Wire Gauge Question

Any electricians on board? I am a self-taught handyman, and have never dabbled in anything electric for fear of killing myself.

I am putting in a new, replacement, garage door opener. There are currently wires that go from the control panel, into the wall, up, and come out of the ceiling above the motor unit. I would like to just re-use these wires, since I don't know how I would get wires through the wall, and it would look better than stapled wires up the wall.

The problem is that the old wires are 24 gauge. The wires that came with the new unit are 22 gauge. So would it be a bad thing to use these wires?

FMCoug 07-26-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison (Post 247280)
Any electricians on board? I am a self-taught handyman, and have never dabbled in anything electric for fear of killing myself.

I am putting in a new, replacement, garage door opener. There are currently wires that go from the control panel, into the wall, up, and come out of the ceiling above the motor unit. I would like to just re-use these wires, since I don't know how I would get wires through the wall, and it would look better than stapled wires up the wall.

The problem is that the old wires are 24 gauge. The wires that came with the new unit are 22 gauge. So would it be a bad thing to use these wires?

This is just for the momentary contact switch for opening and closing right? You'll be fine.

Clark Addison 07-26-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMCoug (Post 247281)
This is just for the momentary contact switch for opening and closing right? You'll be fine.

Right, that's what it is. Thanks.

il Padrino Ute 07-26-2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison (Post 247280)

There is only one way to find out: do it and see what happens.

That's how I do things.

Clark Addison 07-27-2008 03:13 AM

Update: I was not electrocuted and house has not burned down yet. Garage door works fine.

FMCoug 07-27-2008 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Addison (Post 247369)
Update: I was not electrocuted and house has not burned down yet. Garage door works fine.

Lots of installers use a pair from a Cat 5 for this. Cat 5 is like 26 guage or maye even 28.

Brian 07-28-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 247295)
There is only one way to find out: do it and see what happens.

That's how I do things.

smoke test.
Everyone does it that way.