cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Watching part 2 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8049)

YOhio 05-02-2007 03:17 AM

Watching part 2

I have been impressed with Marlin Jensen and Senator Bob Bennett. They were both well spoken.

I also really liked the portion on Hurricane Katrina. It made me feel awfully guilty that I didn't take the opportunity to go down with my stake last year to help with the cleanup.

pelagius 05-02-2007 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 77952)
I have been impressed with Marlin Jensen and Senator Bob Bennett. They were both well spoken.

I also really liked the portion on Hurricane Katrina. It made me feel awfully guilty that I didn't take the opportunity to go down with my stake last year to help with the cleanup.

I definitely liked part I better, but part II had some nice moments. On the flip side, the kid who said, "you go, you go, you go, you just go, you go, you just go," or something pretty close to that was slightly on the inarticulate side. Was there no other recently returned missionary that could articulate using more than three mono-syllabic words that there is cultural and theological pressure to serve a mission?

marsupial 05-02-2007 03:43 AM

Mormon terrorists

What about the guy that said if his mission president had told him to strap a bomb to his chest he would have? Yikes. I don't care how anti you are now, why would you say something like that?

I loved the African-American convert, Betty Stevenson, talking about the "Most preposterous story about a white boy, a dead angel and some gold plates." Where did they find her? She was awesome.

pelagius 05-02-2007 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 77960)
What about the guy that said if his mission president had told him to strap a bomb to his chest he would have? Yikes. I don't care how anti you are now, why would you say something like that?

I loved the African-American convert, Betty Stevenson, talking about the "Most preposterous story about a white boy, a dead angel and some gold plates." Where did they find her? She was awesome.

That was Tal Bachman. He is a very bitter former Mormon these days. He is rabid about it in a Steve Benson kind of way. I think his internet message board of choice is the Recovery from Momormisn Board so it is possible to enjoy his philosophical opining about the wonders of Mormonism all the time.

Also Bachman did have one hit song a few years back. I think it is called, "She's So High."

pelagius 05-02-2007 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 77960)

And because you so clearly enjoy Tal Bachman here is a youtube link to his music video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MVKcfwJxa54

YOhio 05-02-2007 03:59 AM

Tal Bachman was an interesting interview. While he would have strapped a bomb to his chest if the MP asked him, many of the missionaries I have known wouldn't get up on time. He seems like AP material.

MikeWaters 05-02-2007 04:07 AM

Bachman is a pussy. "I risked my life bathing in algae-infested waters."

Give me a break. I'll bet his companions are shaking their heads in disbelief at his misrepresentation of his mission.

I served in one of the more "primitive" missions. Unlike Bachman, I have no need to exaggerate and embellish.

pelagius 05-02-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 77968)
I served in one of the more "primitive" missions. Unlike Bachman, I have no need to exaggerate and embellish.

Me too. My apartment in Waterloo, IA only had a bathtub; no shower. I'm lucky to be alive.

il Padrino Ute 05-02-2007 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelagius (Post 77973)
Me too. My apartment in Waterloo, IA only had a bathtub; no shower. I'm lucky to be alive.

I'll see your bathtub with no shower and raise you a bathtub and a shower, but water only available from 5:00-8:00 AM.

I am still baffled as to why Palermo was my favorite city.

YOhio 05-02-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 77980)
I'll see your bathtub with no shower and raise you a bathtub and a shower, but water only available from 5:00-8:00 AM.

I am still baffled as to why Palermo was my favorite city.

We only had drains at the far end of the bathroom with a shower hose on the wall. I did contract a severe form of athletes foot. I'm lucky to be here to tell you about it. I also wrecked my bicycle into a rancid rice paddy during a typhoon. Although I got a few laughs out of it, I plan to use it against the church if I ever go apostate.