cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Baked brown rice (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19148)

FarrahWaters 05-06-2008 02:04 AM

Baked brown rice

Whenever I cook brown rice on the stove, it turns out mushy. I've started baking it, and I think it tastes much better. .

Alton Brown's recipe.

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
2 1/2 cups water (or substitute all or part chicken broth)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

YOhio 05-06-2008 04:37 AM

Alton has a solution for everything. I love that guy.

SeattleUte 05-07-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 217575)
Whenever I cook brown rice on the stove, it turns out mushy. I've started baking it, and I think it tastes much better. .

Alton Brown's recipe.

1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
2 1/2 cups water (or substitute all or part chicken broth)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

How does it turn out in a rice cooker? I can't believe you ever cook rice on a stove.

ute4ever 11-06-2008 04:35 PM

This turned out quite well, thank you Farrah. I had a rack of ribs that I cut into thirds and cooked in a Crock Pot on low, and used the drippings for part of the 2 1/2 cups water. Delicious.

ERCougar 11-07-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 218163)
How does it turn out in a rice cooker? I can't believe you ever cook rice on a stove.

I honestly think a rice cooker is a waste of money. I used to own one and the stove works just as well, and nearly as easy. I'll have to try this brown rice method; I too think it tastes mushy.

jay santos 11-07-2008 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERCougar (Post 291748)
I honestly think a rice cooker is a waste of money. I used to own one and the stove works just as well, and nearly as easy. I'll have to try this brown rice method; I too think it tastes mushy.

We cook rice at least once maybe twice a week. I can't imagine not having a rice cooker.

ERCougar 11-07-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 292038)
We cook rice at least once maybe twice a week. I can't imagine not having a rice cooker.

Really? Not to argue, but why? As long as I buy a decent rice and measure out the amount of water, I can throw it on a stove, bring it to a boil, simmer it with a lid on for 20 minutes and it's done. I've even forgotten about it and it turned out well. I really can't tell the difference between it and what I could make with the cooker. I'm no YOhio in my culinary wisdom, but I like to cook and had two different roommates with Asian backgrounds who were very picky about rice.

FarrahWaters 11-07-2008 10:40 PM

With a rice cooker, you don't have to worry about raising and lowering the heat on the stove.

yes, I've tried brown rice in the rice cooker. I still don't like the texture of it. The baked rice turns out perfectly, and my husband will even eat it. Incidentally, I tried substituting part chicken broth, and it didn't seem to work as well.

TripletDaddy 11-07-2008 11:05 PM

Forgive my cultural ignorance (as well as my general overall ignorance on a daily basis)....but for our resident Asians....or resident RMs that served in Asian cultures....how do the masters do it?

Is it more common to simply toss it in a rice cooker or boil it on a stove?

Donuthole 11-08-2008 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 292196)
Forgive my cultural ignorance (as well as my general overall ignorance on a daily basis)....but for our resident Asians....or resident RMs that served in Asian cultures....how do the masters do it?

Is it more common to simply toss it in a rice cooker or boil it on a stove?

I realize this is anecdotal, at best, but my cousin married a girl from the Philippines, and she is a rice addict. Literally, she has withdrawal symptoms if she goes more than a couple meals without rice. They use a rice cooker.