cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   From Mesa AZ (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26416)

Valentinus1 09-28-2009 04:32 PM

From Mesa AZ

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a theology student with a minor in political science. I'm unorthodox in action and rhetoric.

I have LDS ancestry and I respect it despite any misgivings I may have about it. But as I said in another thread, I have the same problems with Christianity.

I don't deal with self-serving or faith-promoting bias very well. Not because of the individual person but with sociocultural dogma.

If I think someone says something pretty dumb, I will either ask them for clarification or I will call them out on it.

Some will probably take the time to scrutinize this intro...that's okay. It wouldn't be the first time.

Shalom,
Valentinus

Archaea 09-28-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentinus1 (Post 307215)
Hey everyone,

I'm currently a theology student with a minor in political science. I'm unorthodox in action and rhetoric.

I have LDS ancestry and I respect it despite any misgivings I may have about it. But as I said in another thread, I have the same problems with Christianity.

I don't deal with self-serving or faith-promoting bias very well. Not because of the individual person but with sociocultural dogma.

If I think someone says something pretty dumb, I will either ask them for clarification or I will call them out on it.

Some will probably take the time to scrutinize this intro...that's okay. It wouldn't be the first time.

Shalom,
Valentinus

Without intending an insult, what does one do with theological studies nowadays. I've known quite a few who started out doing that but who found it difficult to earn a living with that degree.

Valentinus1 09-28-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 307223)
Without intending an insult, what does one do with theological studies nowadays. I've known quite a few who started out doing that but who found it difficult to earn a living with that degree.

I want to be a college professor. I decided at one point that I could only do something professionally that drives me crazy as much as I love it. Maybe I can teach at BYU someday...can I teach at BYU? Or do I have to be LDS?

I wouldn't mind teaching religion objectively to my nieces and nephews.

Archaea 09-29-2009 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentinus1 (Post 307242)
I want to be a college professor. I decided at one point that I could only do something professionally that drives me crazy as much as I love it. Maybe I can teach at BYU someday...can I teach at BYU? Or do I have to be LDS?

I wouldn't mind teaching religion objectively to my nieces and nephews.

You would have to teach the Universtity of Utah then. Objective instruction in the field of religion is not possible at BYU. [at least currently]. And as much as I appreciate BYU, the religious instruction there is not much more than a glorified institute, most of the time. IOW, it's a giant testimony meeting without much academic emphasis. The other parts of the school can be quite illuminating.

Valentinus1 09-29-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 307251)
You would have to teach the Universtity of Utah then. Objective instruction in the field of religion is not possible at BYU. [at least currently]. And as much as I appreciate BYU, the religious instruction there is not much more than a glorified institute, most of the time. IOW, it's a giant testimony meeting without much academic emphasis. The other parts of the school can be quite illuminating.

I understand. I suppose private institutions do try to keep things as faith promoting as possible.

wuapinmon 10-01-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 307251)

This was my experience 10 years ago. I only had one prof in religion who actually made us think. The rest were, as you suggested, testimony meetings that came with a grade.