cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Interesting study (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16906)

All-American 02-18-2008 04:08 PM

Interesting study

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2008/...astestgrow.php

Indy Coug 02-18-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 186161)

And as we all know, the true church should always have the fastest growth rate, as evidenced by both modern and ancient history.

Tex 02-18-2008 04:20 PM

Interesting that the Catholics actually had a net increase, despite the scandals of the last several years. I think it wasn't 10 years ago they were losing people hand over fist.

I'd like to see a comparative study of relative activity in each of these faiths. I'd wager the Mormons and the JW's have much higher rates than many of the others. I remember being on my mission in Germany and sort of apologetically explaining that our wards typically had less than 50% attending. One woman's eyes about popped out of her head. "FIFTY percent?? Our pastors would KILL for that kind of attendance."

All about expectations, I guess. Heh.

All-American 02-18-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 186162)
And as we all know, the true church should always have the fastest growth rate, as evidenced by both modern and ancient history.

A lot of LDS I've talked to seem to believe it. And it is kind of interesting that your first response to this article is to defend the church. Doesn't that imply that deep down, we feel like the #1 position ought to be OUR spot?

Indy Coug 02-18-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 186166)
A lot of LDS I've talked to seem to believe it. And it is kind of interesting that your first response to this article is to defend the church. Doesn't that imply that deep down, we feel like the #1 position ought to be OUR spot?

It was a pre-emptive response to those who base their indictments of LDS conversion rates on the premise that the only true and living church should have the highest conversion rate.

No, I don't believe that our conversion rate should be the highest. There are no historical precedents from previous dispensations to justify that expectation. In fact, doesn't the fact that there have been multiple dispensations prove exactly the opposite?

All-American 02-18-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 186168)
It was a pre-emptive response to those who base their indictments of LDS conversion rates on the premise that the only true and living church should have the highest conversion rate.

No, I don't believe that our conversion rate should be the highest. There are no historical precedents from previous dispensations to justify that expectation. In fact, doesn't the fact that there have been multiple dispensations prove exactly the opposite?

See, YOU know that, and I know that, but there's an awful lot of people out there who either don't know it or don't believe it. Goodness knows I've heard a lot of LDS congratulate themselves on being the fastest growing church in the world, as though that particular feather in the cap made the calling and election of the church sure.

Members who have been paying attention, of course, will have noticed that the leaders of the church have been keeping an eye on the growth of the church for some time.

Indy Coug 02-18-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-American (Post 186170)
See, YOU know that, and I know that, but there's an awful lot of people out there who either don't know it or don't believe it. Goodness knows I've heard a lot of LDS congratulate themselves on being the fastest growing church in the world, as though that particular feather in the cap made the calling and election of the church sure.

Members who have been paying attention, of course, will have noticed that the leaders of the church have been keeping an eye on the growth of the church for some time.

The LDS church manages growth a lot better than in the past, even the recent past. If the LDS church was really concerned about conversion rates, they'd super-saturate the more productive proselyting areas, damned be the consequences.

MikeWaters 02-18-2008 04:51 PM

Based on what I'm hearing from higher ups, I believe the church is very concerned about low growth numbers in the USA. Our stake is very focused on improving missionary work.

Indy Coug 02-18-2008 04:53 PM

I'm waiting for a General Conference centering its attention on the low LDS birthrate.

All-American 02-18-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 186174)
The LDS church manages growth a lot better than in the past, even the recent past. If the LDS church was really concerned about conversion rates, they'd super-saturate the more productive proselyting areas, damned be the consequences.

Notice-- I said "GROWTH of the church", not "conversion rates."