cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness and Wellness (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   When I started my (5 mile) run this morning, (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16708)

Solon 02-11-2008 02:24 PM

When I started my (5 mile) run this morning,

it was 3 degrees Fahrenheit (that's -16 for tooblue). With the wind chill, it was -16 (-26.7 for tooblue).

By the time I got back, it had dropped to 1 (-17 tb), but the wind chill was up to -10 (-23 tb). My water bottle froze and I went thirsty, but my chronically sore leg was really numb - it hasn't felt this good in 5 years.

I've never had much to write home about in the package category, but this morning I gave "shrinkage" a new gold standard.

bigpiney 02-11-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 183792)
it was 3 degrees Fahrenheit (that's -16 for tooblue). With the wind chill, it was -16 (-26.7 for tooblue).

By the time I got back, it had dropped to 1 (-17 tb), but the wind chill was up to -10 (-23 tb). My water bottle froze and I went thirsty, but my chronically sore leg was really numb - it hasn't felt this good in 5 years.

I've never had much to write home about in the package category, but this morning I gave "shrinkage" a new gold standard.

You are crazy. I can't get myself to go out and run if it is colder than 40. And then I do it with a hat and gloves. I don't like the feeling of the cold burning my lungs.

Archaea 02-11-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 183792)

Very amazing. Do you really use a bottle for five miles?

The problem with those temperatures involves breathing. If I breathe deeply at such extreme temperatures I cough a lot. Don't you?

A simple word you can learn: "Treadmill."

Another word, "indoors".

Solon 02-11-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 183806)
Very amazing. Do you really use a bottle for five miles?

The problem with those temperatures involves breathing. If I breathe deeply at such extreme temperatures I cough a lot. Don't you?

A simple word you can learn: "Treadmill."

Another word, "indoors".

Yeah, I'm a wimp: I have to have my water bottle. I have hydration/sweat issues and don't really need the fluids for such a short run, but it makes my recovery a lot faster if I guzzle a pint at halfway.

We have a good treadmill but, with the baby, the treadmill now lives about 7 feet from the bed where my wife was sleeping at 5:45 this morning. I'd rather run in the cold than piss her off.

As for breathing, it used to kill me in past years when I'd run outside once in awhile, but I've been doing it regularly this winter and I don't really notice it. Tolerance, I suppose. The human body is amazing.

Mormon Red Death 02-11-2008 03:57 PM

I never have a problem running in the cold. Perhaps Archaea needs to stop being such a wimp ;)

Archaea 02-11-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 183906)
I never have a problem running in the cold. Perhaps Archaea needs to stop being such a wimp ;)

I admit I don't like cold weather except to ski in.

But I'll run with anybody in 100 degree heat. :)

bluegoose 02-12-2008 03:53 PM

55 degrees and no wind this morning at 5:45 for my run. It was beeee-you-tee-ful!

bYuPride 02-12-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose (Post 184363)
55 degrees and no wind this morning at 5:45 for my run. It was beeee-you-tee-ful!

i'm jealous..