cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23799)

FarrahWaters 10-19-2008 08:33 PM

The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich

What is in your perfect grilled cheese sandwich?

If you have a bag of miso kicking around in your fridge, try this. Spread a little miso on both sides of whole-grain bread, butter the other side. Add your favorite cheddar, and some tomato and basil if you want. Toast it butter side down in a frying pan. Sounds weird, but it's really good.

ute4ever 10-19-2008 08:37 PM

An idea I copied from the Food Network is to buy a freshly baked loaf of French bread, cut it in half and invert it so that the crust is in the middle, load your cheeses and put it into a panini press. The crust soaks up the cheese oils and softens.

YOhio 10-19-2008 08:49 PM

Miso on a grilled cheese? Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot sometime.

I like two different kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches. If I'm dipping it in tomato soup, then I just get cheddar on an artisan country loaf or sourdough and put a thin tomato slice in the middle. Very traditional.

The other one I like to make is to use rye bread, asiago, sharp cheddar, provolone, grated parmesan, banana peppers, tomato and a little horseradish. Grill that baby up and it's delicious.

landpoke 10-20-2008 02:34 PM

Two slices of white bread
Three slices Kraft individually wrapped singles
Butter

cougjunkie 10-20-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281688)
Butter

Amen to that.

Flystripper 10-20-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarrahWaters (Post 281459)
What is in your perfect grilled cheese sandwich?

If you have a bag of miso kicking around in your fridge, try this. Spread a little miso on both sides of whole-grain bread, butter the other side. Add your favorite cheddar, and some tomato and basil if you want. Toast it butter side down in a frying pan. Sounds weird, but it's really good.

I love habanero or jalapeno jelly on my grilled cheese.

TripletDaddy 10-20-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 281768)

That sounds disgusting.

And by disgusting, I mean absolutely, must-try-ASAP delicious!

Where do you get jalapeno jelly?

Jeff Lebowski 10-20-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flystripper (Post 281768)

What do you know? A kindred spirit.

FarrahWaters 10-20-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landpoke (Post 281688)
Butter

You and my husband are so alike.

Flystripper 10-20-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 281771)
That sounds disgusting.

And by disgusting, I mean absolutely, must-try-ASAP delicious!

Where do you get jalapeno jelly?

We have a few sources. Every farmers market I have been to in SoCal seem to have somebody selling it. I always pick up a jar when I see it. My mil makes some with peppers from her garden every year. I would bet that whole foods or Bristol Farms sells some but I am not sure.

Another good treat is a sesame cracker bread with cream cheese and pepper jelly. I love this snack during football games, but I usually end up eating way too much cream cheese than what would be recommended for good health.