cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   17 freshmen going on missions (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5042)

MikeWaters 11-13-2006 03:52 PM

17 freshmen going on missions

They are all leaving beginning of january, and will all be allowed to return in December, before the Holidays. (and most importantly, will be able to enroll for the Winter semester). A special dispensation. I understand that our two freshmen DL starters/contributors are among the 17.

jay santos 11-13-2006 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 44615)
They are all leaving beginning of january, and will all be allowed to return in December, before the Holidays. (and most importantly, will be able to enroll for the Winter semester). A special dispensation. I understand that our two freshmen DL starters/contributors are among the 17.

Where did you read this? Link?

MikeWaters 11-13-2006 04:08 PM

Insider information. Human to Human. You can take it to the bank.

jay santos 11-13-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 44617)
Insider information. Human to Human. You can take it to the bank.

:) k thanks. I was just interested in reading more detail on it.

By the two contributing defenders do you mean Dulan and Tonga? My understanding was that Dulan was only 17, so he couldn't leave in January unelss they changed the rules. I'm most interested in this concept of them all leaving together in January and coming home in December. I like the organized approach to it, but I would think that birthdays would dictate that it wouldn't go down like that. That would be sweet if the brethren made a new rule for freshmen athletes (BYU only of course) that they could leave on their mish Jan after frosh year no matter their age.

MikeWaters 11-13-2006 04:19 PM

I was told that it was two starters on offense, and two starters on defense. McKay would be one of them. Perhaps "starters" is loosely defined.

I have no idea about Dulan or about age issues. But I am told they are leaving as a group, these 17, in January.

jay santos 11-13-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 44621)
I was told that it was two starters on offense, and two starters on defense. McKay would be one of them. Perhaps "starters" is loosely defined.

I have no idea about Dulan or about age issues. But I am told they are leaving as a group, these 17, in January.

Probably Hague is the other reference to offensive "starter". I'm not surprised about sending 17 (or at least a bunch) on missions, but all in January is the intriguing part to me, since I'm sure many of those will turn 19 after Jan, thus the question of whether or not this is a new exception by the brethren for athletes.

Surfah 11-13-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 44622)
Probably Hague is the other reference to offensive "starter". I'm not surprised about sending 17 (or at least a bunch) on missions, but all in January is the intriguing part to me, since I'm sure many of those will turn 19 after Jan, thus the question of whether or not this is a new exception by the brethren for athletes.

I doubt there is such an exception for athletes. And I know that the Church has changed recently in its policy in regards to sending missionaries home before the holidays as they used to.

MikeWaters 11-13-2006 04:44 PM

one of my companions on my mission was supposed to go home beginning of December. Without asking his family, he extended his mission. He wrote them of his decision. MP pulled strings to get him extended. After 3 or 4 weeks of no return letter, he finally got the inkling that perhaps his family was pissed off. He then asked the MP to cancel his extension. The exasperated MP then said "No more extensions."

RockyBalboa 11-13-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 44621)

The players you refer to are Matangi Tonga, Romney Fuga, McKay Jacobsen, and probably Mike Hague and/or Ryan Freeman. Freeman has got quite a bit of playing time for a true Freshman Offensive Lineman.

Ian Dulan is too young to go on a mission and will be playing next year.

Mormon Red Death 11-13-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 44615)

I am guessing after byu goes to the vegas bowl only about 3/4 of them will be going? ;)