cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Finances (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What is the amount of your student debt (in today's dollars) when you graduated? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18369)

Mormon Red Death 04-09-2008 05:07 PM

What is the amount of your student debt (in today's dollars) when you graduated?

anonymous poll

marsupial 04-09-2008 06:44 PM

I didn't take out any student loans. I was on a full ride scholarship funded by my parents. (It was a pretty competitive scholarship. They only gave it out to one other person, my brother.)

BigFatMeanie 04-09-2008 09:20 PM

Maybe like $3000 total in student loans by the time I flunked out. For most of my educational career (I use that term loosely) I was on the "Old Man Meanie" scholarship plan in with Old Man Meanie covered tuition and I was responsible for everything else. Old Man Meanie got tired of subsidizing 0.0 GPAs and so eventually he cut me off. I used student loans the last two semesters I spent flunking out of the U. Paid them off shortly afterwards.

MikeWaters 04-09-2008 09:21 PM

My parents bought me a cheap car, when as a RM, I told them if they ever wanted grandkids, they would need to do this.

il Padrino Ute 04-09-2008 09:34 PM

I was fortunate to not have had any school loan debts.

nikuman 04-09-2008 09:51 PM

I am loathe to give exact figures. It is south of my home mortgage, and we will leave it at that.

It is more than double the highest option on the poll.

Columbia+NYC+two kids is very expensive.

We are gradually whittling away.

This is why my "rich guy" shtick is a complete farce.

Mormon Red Death 04-09-2008 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 206671)
I am loathe to give exact figures. It is south of my home mortgage, and we will leave it at that.

but aren't you makine 500k a year? easy to pay off 180k in debt when your are making half a million a year

K-dog 04-09-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikuman (Post 206671)

Columbia was the mistake. A guy at my firm was asking my wife why she went to BYU instead of Harvard (he was a Harvard guy) and she answered "We both got to the same place salary-wise but you cost a lot more doing it. The real question is why you went to Harvard while I went to BYU?"

MikeWaters 04-09-2008 10:05 PM

I will have you all know that the govt. has paid off over a third of my student debt so far.

:)

TripletDaddy 04-09-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 206676)
Columbia was the mistake. A guy at my firm was asking my wife why she went to BYU instead of Harvard (he was a Harvard guy) and she answered "We both got to the same place salary-wise but you cost a lot more doing it. The real question is why you went to Harvard while I went to BYU?"

Perhaps the greatest commentary ever on the high price of the Harvard brand.

It's wicked!