cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   wow, is this true??? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11992)

MikeWaters 09-21-2007 02:40 PM

wow, is this true???

About the book "Mormon Doctrine".

http://www.amazon.com/Mormon-Doctrin.../dp/0884940624

Quote:

"There are too many topics in it (hundreds) for me to comment upon here, so I will limit my remarks to just one, as indicative of the mentality of the author, and why his fellow apostles cringed so much at its contents. Under the alphabetically listed heading, "Psychiatry," the author's "doctrinal" comment begins, "See, Church of the Devil," another of book's topics. If you, as a reader, believe that psychiatry is best approached and understood in conceptual terms of "church of the devil," then you might be one of the many people who are happy with Mormon Doctrine as a book. If you think, however, that to perceive psychiatry as part of "the devil's church" is surprisingly ignorant and childish thinking, then you very likely will have as many reservations about this book as did the author's fellow apostles who were first offended by its appearance in print.

For your information, today is December 14, 2005, and it was just yesterday that I was stunned anew to see, in the current edition of Mormon Doctrine in a Border's bookstore, that this book still contains McKonkie's "See, Church of the Devil" reference. How the LDS Church tolerates this neanderthalish comment to remain in print is puzzling. Why McKonkie's heirs don't edit out this sort of absurdity is at least equally as puzzling."

nikuman 09-21-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126104)

Mormon Doctrine is perhaps the biggest misnomer of any book I've ever seen. "Opinions of BRM" might have been better.

Indy Coug 09-21-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126104)

Does the LDS church control the rights to this book?

Archaea 09-21-2007 02:52 PM

That is abominable. I'm glad I no longer have a copy.

How did people of such troglodytic tendencies ever rise to power.

MikeWaters 09-21-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 126118)
Does the LDS church control the rights to this book?

I'm glad the church gives some latitude to its apostles to publish things that are way out there. Unfortunately it seems that it only happens in the mullah-direction and not the progressive-direction.

MikeWaters 09-21-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 126119)
That is abominable. I'm glad I no longer have a copy.

How did people of such troglodytic tendencies ever rise to power.

I'm betting McConkie saw psychiatry as more of a philosophical movement, rather than a response to fighting mental illness. Certainly the psychiatry of 2007 is much different than the psychiatry of 1940.

Therefore McConkie might cast aspersions on an entire field as a reaction.

creekster 09-21-2007 03:03 PM

I have the 1966 edition, the 1979 printing. The reference to the church of the devil is there. The entry for psychiatry discusses that psychiatry is a field that seeks to treat mental illness and, if used unwisely, can lead sinners to avoid repentance. He specifically mentions that 'unwise' practitioners may counsel a patient that the church's teachings are untrue, which then leads to the same analysis as part of the entry for the church of the devil.

SoonerCoug 09-21-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creekster (Post 126133)
I have the 1966 edition, the 1979 printing. The reference to the church of the devil is there. The entry for psychiatry discusses that psychiatry is a field that seeks to treat mental illness and, if used unwisely, can lead sinners to avoid repentance. He specifically mentions that 'unwise' practitioners may counsel a patient that the church's teachings are untrue, which then leads to the same analysis as part of the entry for the church of the devil.

A member of our Stake Presidency taught our ward that depression only exists in people who have lost the spirit. I stood up and walked out when he said that.

Archaea 09-21-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 126125)
I'm betting McConkie saw psychiatry as more of a philosophical movement, rather than a response to fighting mental illness. Certainly the psychiatry of 2007 is much different than the psychiatry of 1940.

Therefore McConkie might cast aspersions on an entire field as a reaction.

The more one examines McConkie the more one wonders how anybody bought into his BS.

Sleeping in EQ 09-21-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoonerCoug (Post 126138)
A member of our Stake Presidency taught our ward that depression only exists in people who have lost the spirit. I stood up and walked out when he said that.

Anyone want to take odds on this one being true?

I sure hope it isn't.