cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Welfare couple names son after Adolph Hitler (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25016)

MikeWaters 12-17-2008 02:42 PM

Welfare couple names son after Adolph Hitler

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warr...l=3&thispage=1

Fearing that Himmler would be left out, they named one daughter after him. As well as another daughter with the name 'Aryan Nations.'

ShopRite refused to make a cake inscribed with 'Adolph Hitler.' So the family went to WalMart, which was happy to oblige.

Incidentally there was a kid I grew up with whose given name was Adolph. He went by an unrelated nickname. He was hispanic. Shame when a bad dude ruins a previously decent name.

The best part is that this family subsists on govt. assistance.

il Padrino Ute 12-17-2008 03:28 PM

I wouldn't name a kid after one of the most evil persons in history, but I don't think they should have been denied service because of it, though it's certainly within the business's right to do so.

I wonder if this same place would have a problem if someone named their kid after Reverend Wright?

Archaea 12-17-2008 03:49 PM

We had a German, named Rosenauer, who was a neuro surgeon, formerly of the Luftwaffe but an immigrant to the US, whose name unfortunately was Adolf.

He also got VA benefits even though he had served in the German air force, because the people awarding benefits simply asked him if he had served in WWII. He had, .... but not for our side.

MikeWaters 12-17-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 297543)
I wouldn't name a kid after one of the most evil persons in history, but I don't think they should have been denied service because of it, though it's certainly within the business's right to do so.

I wonder if this same place would have a problem if someone named their kid after Reverend Wright?

they weren't denied service. they said they would make the cake with everything but the name, and would leave space for the family to write in the name themselves.

is there some moral equivalence between adolph hitler and rev. WRight that I am not aware of?

il Padrino Ute 12-17-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 297550)
s there some moral equivalence between adolph hitler and rev. WRight that I am not aware of?

Not really, though both taught/teach hatred. I'm just curious what would happen if there was a request like that.

marsupial 12-17-2008 08:53 PM

A lot of famous people have ruined perfectly good names, even if they are not evil. Elvis, for example. Elvis is a great name, but any kid named Elvis now would be haunted by the King.

We almost didn't name our third what we did because of a certain popular boy band, but we're hoping this band is on its way out soon.

MikeWaters 12-17-2008 08:57 PM

I think Lancebass is a perfectly good first name.

RedHeadGal 12-18-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 297548)
We had a German, named Rosenauer, who was a neuro surgeon, formerly of the Luftwaffe but an immigrant to the US, whose name unfortunately was Adolf.

He also got VA benefits even though he had served in the German air force, because the people awarding benefits simply asked him if he had served in WWII. He had, .... but not for our side.

What kind of benefits? That's not like VA to give benefits in error. They normally like to refuse to give them in error.

Archaea 12-18-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHeadGal (Post 297608)
What kind of benefits? That's not like VA to give benefits in error. They normally like to refuse to give them in error.

This was years ago, long before they became so stingy. I heard it from the good doctor and his son. Now, because it was a story, it didn't occur to me to cross examine on the finer points. I don't know if it applied to a time in the fifties or how much later.