cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   A very nice ad. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14739)

Cali Coug 12-07-2007 06:43 AM

A very nice ad.

I don't feel great about a company using it for their advantage, but the message is right on.

NorCal Cat 12-07-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 160468)
I don't feel great about a company using it for their advantage, but the message is right on.

LOL What do you propose, that the ad should have to be run anonymously?

Tex 12-07-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 160468)

Ok, against my better judgment, I'll bite.

How is Anheiser-Busch "using it for their advantage"?

Indy Coug 12-07-2007 01:22 PM

That's called a win-win. Anheuser-Busch spends the money to produce and buy air time to honor our soldiers and hope that people will appreciate that enough to buy some of their product.

I hardly think A-B is completely disingenuous with their sentiments towards the military.

Great commercial, even if it's by an evil corporation that profits from selling liquid poison.

Cali Coug 12-07-2007 02:39 PM

Wow- didn't mean to pee in everyone's favorite beer.

I thought it was perfectly clear how A-B is using it for their advantage. A-B isn't running the ad as a public service announcement. They are running it to get more business.

It feels a bit exploitative of a truly great moment.

And yes, NutCal, if they wanted it to be a public service announcement, they certainly COULD have run it anonymously.

That said, it was a touching ad with a good message (until the last 3 seconds).

Tex 12-07-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 160511)
Wow- didn't mean to pee in everyone's favorite beer.

I thought it was perfectly clear how A-B is using it for their advantage. A-B isn't running the ad as a public service announcement. They are running it to get more business.

What's perfectly clear is some people have become accustomed to piss-flavored beer, and are trying to make everyone else drink it too.

You can enjoy that beverage alone, Cali.

MikeWaters 12-07-2007 02:47 PM

I think it would be very nice irony if it was a Halliburton commercial.

The commercial is fakery, but in truth, there are groups of people that go to airports to make sure that soldiers are thanked, and that includes some boy scout troops in DFW. The airport has set up a program.

Cali Coug 12-07-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 160513)
What's perfectly clear is some people have become accustomed to piss-flavored beer, and are trying to make everyone else drink it too.

You can enjoy that beverage alone, Cali.

That didn't even make sense. Why don't you take another shot at it.

Tex 12-07-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 160530)
That didn't even make sense. Why don't you take another shot at it.

You'd have to be a hypersensitive, overly critical, nit-picky, easily-offended pain in the butt to see that ad as anything but a very nice "thank you" from a company full of grateful people.

If you want to take a deep draught of your piss-beer, go right ahead. But please don't share.

creekster 12-07-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 160535)
You'd have to be a hypersensitive, overly critical, nit-picky, easily-offended pain in the butt to see that ad as anything but a very nice "thank you" from a company full of grateful people.

If you want to take a deep draught of your piss-beer, go right ahead. But please don't share.

COme on, you guys are fighting just to fight. Of COURSE A-B expects people to like them better for this ad. How can you deny this? And yes the ad was GREAT, even with the reality of A-B's additional motive. You are both right and what is the point of arguing about htis? Move it over to deal with Romney's great or abominable speech or the sexiest woman alive, you know, something that MATTERS, fer cryin' out loud.