cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Utah game 2016 (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29818)

Archaea 09-05-2016 02:37 PM

Utah game 2016

After having watched the Arizona game, I believe Utah should be favored.

Utah has better lines than Arizona, will know how to stuff the run and will play in the face of the receivers forcing Hill to go over the top. I don't believe we have the receivers to go over the top of Utah's defensive backs.

Unless Ty was concealing parts of the offense which could beat Utah, I would imagine Utah should be favored by 5 to 7 points.

Our lack of talent on the lines will continue to hurt us.

BlueK 09-06-2016 03:27 PM

Did the lines really play that badly? Utah may be a lot better than Arizona (or they may be comparable. We don't really know yet), but I thought the defense was pretty good when considering what they were trying to do. The defense was good. Arizona had no trouble scoring last season in the P12, but maybe they're not as good this year. Who knows for sure this early. I don't really see Utah's offense being that great this year. I think we can hang with them. We'll see.

BlueK 09-06-2016 05:41 PM

I will add that historically, Rich Rodriguez teams are 99% about offense. To hold his team to as low an output as we did should be considered pretty eye-opening. They scored at least in the 40s against pretty much everyone last year. If we can keep the score low against Utah we have an excellent chance to win. I like this staff's chances against a Utah team they're very familiar with.

MikeWaters 09-06-2016 11:30 PM

Seems like under Bronco, we lost the Utah game before it even started.

Hopefully the team will come out ready, prepared, smart and hungry.

Archaea 09-07-2016 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322033)
Seems like under Bronco, we lost the Utah game before it even started.

Hopefully the team will come out ready, prepared, smart and hungry.

I don't imagine we'll give up five turnovers on the first five possessions.

ChinoCoug 09-07-2016 04:20 AM

WTF. You guys seriously believe they committed 5 turnovers because they didn't care?

Some of them were due to being too amped up and could be attributed to preparation, but turnovers are mostly bad luck.

MikeWaters 09-07-2016 12:06 PM

in all these losses, yes, it did seem to me like one team had swagger, and the other team was scared.

Archaea 09-07-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322037)
WTF. You guys seriously believe they committed 5 turnovers because they didn't care?

Some of them were due to being too amped up and could be attributed to preparation, but turnovers are mostly bad luck.

An occasional turnover is due to bad luck, but most are due to a lack of mental focus.

MikeWaters 09-07-2016 03:38 PM

everyone wants to win, not everyone is willing to do what it takes to win. And that starts months and years before the actual game.

BlueK 09-08-2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322039)
An occasional turnover is due to bad luck, but most are due to a lack of mental focus.

or playing too tight or wound up.

BlueK 09-08-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 322040)
everyone wants to win, not everyone is willing to do what it takes to win. And that starts months and years before the actual game.

Bronco for years wasn't willing to change his approach to recruiting. In the 90s BYU routinely ranked in the 20s and 30s in recruiting class. It's gotten so bad since then that on CB they get excited now when we get ranked 60th. Some of it has to do with the BCS/P5 creating the brand of being a different "division" than the rest. That's hard to overcome. But I think most of it was Bronco just trying too hard to limit his recruiting efforts to the players he singled out as his type.

MikeWaters 09-09-2016 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322042)
Bronco for years wasn't willing to change his approach to recruiting. In the 90s BYU routinely ranked in the 20s and 30s in recruiting class. It's gotten so bad since then that on CB they get excited now when we get ranked 60th. Some of it has to do with the BCS/P5 creating the brand of being a different "division" than the rest. That's hard to overcome. But I think most of it was Bronco just trying too hard to limit his recruiting efforts to the players he singled out as his type.

I've been saying this for years.

ChinoCoug 09-09-2016 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueK (Post 322042)

Heaps/Apo/Stout was top 30.

mpfunk 09-12-2016 06:33 PM

Enjoyed the game because I certainly enjoyed the outcome of the game. I also am just a big fan of the rivalry game. I hate when it isn't played and I hope that it continues for a long time.

Sitake is going to do really good things for BYU if they let him. By let him, I'm saying that BYU is going to have to become content with winning ugly. He is going to have great defenses. He is going to prioritize talent being on defense.

It is hard to root against Sitake, but I will certainly find a way to do it.

I think Detmer has been awful through the first 2 games. Maybe he will be good, maybe he won't. I've found it interesting how much of a pass he has gotten the first couple of weeks.

ChinoCoug 09-12-2016 06:39 PM

Dumbest call of the night was made by Kwit kicking the FG.

I was praying he would do that.

4th and inches: about a 90%+ change you win.

Don't make it, BYU starts at their 6 and needs a TD.

Make the FG, and BYU starts at the ~25 and needs a TD.

Archaea 09-12-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322064)
Dumbest call of the night was made by Kwit kicking the FG.

I was praying he would do that.

4th and inches: about a 90%+ change you win.

Don't make it, BYU starts at their 6 and needs a TD.

Make the FG, and BYU starts at the ~25 and needs a TD.

Going for two was dumbest call. Tie the game up and win in overtime.

BlueK 09-12-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322067)

I don't necessarily dislike the decision just because I think our defense was exhausted at that point after Utah's long drive. Normally I would agree with you on this but for this situation I think we had a better chance to execute one play than endure through one or more overtimes. The problem is they picked the wrong play. It would have been different if Jamaal hadn't been out I think because Utah would have had to respect his presence in the backfield at least.

ChinoCoug 09-12-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 322067)

Not even close. Jamaal out, Nacua out, McChesney out, DLine can't stop the run, Taysom not connecting.

Better chance to try to get 3 yards.

Archaea 09-12-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChinoCoug (Post 322070)
Not even close. Jamaal out, Nacua out, McChesney out, DLine can't stop the run, Taysom not connecting.

Better chance to try to get 3 yards.

Is Jamal out for the UCLA game?

ChinoCoug 09-12-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 322063)
Enjoyed the game because I certainly enjoyed the outcome of the game. I also am just a big fan of the rivalry game. I hate when it isn't played and I hope that it continues for a long time.

Sitake is going to do really good things for BYU if they let him. By let him, I'm saying that BYU is going to have to become content with winning ugly. He is going to have great defenses. He is going to prioritize talent being on defense.

It is hard to root against Sitake, but I will certainly find a way to do it.

I think Detmer has been awful through the first 2 games. Maybe he will be good, maybe he won't. I've found it interesting how much of a pass he has gotten the first couple of weeks.

It's not Detmer, it's Taysom.

ChinoCoug 09-12-2016 07:40 PM

I might change my mind on this. The chances of making a 2pt conversion in the NCAA is only 41%.

http://www.backingthepack.com/2011/7...ough-the-years