cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   you know the jazz fans that moaned the choice of williams over paul... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18291)

MikeWaters 04-06-2008 07:00 PM

you know the jazz fans that moaned the choice of williams over paul...

back in that first season?

They were right.

Jeff Lebowski 04-06-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205395)

They were right.

Come on. Williams has hardly been a bust.

MikeWaters 04-06-2008 07:17 PM

Williams is all-star caliber. But Paul could end up as a top 5 PG in basketball history.

JohnnyLingo 04-06-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205395)

They were right.

Excellent trolling effort. Really, you almost had me.

Jeff Lebowski 04-06-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205401)
Williams is all-star caliber. But Paul could end up as a top 5 PG in basketball history.

In the history of blown chances on draft day, this one is not even on the radar.

MikeWaters 04-06-2008 07:33 PM

The point is that there was a debate. At this point, among most fans, there is not a debate. Paul has clearly pulled ahead.

scottie 04-06-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205406)
The point is that there was a debate. At this point, among most fans, there is not a debate. Paul has clearly pulled ahead.

Williams has taken Utah to the Western Conf. finals, so there's really nothing for Utah fans to bemoan. Both are great players. It would be interesting to compare the two today had Sloan not held Williams back his rookie season while Byron Scott was letting Paul loose.

Hsaru 04-06-2008 08:14 PM

so when/if the jazz beat the hornets in round two you going to change your tune?

TheSizzle36 04-06-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 205406)

And last year after going to the WCF's and really elevating his game, there were many who said Deron Williams was the better of the two.

Honestly, I don't think Utah made a bad choice in picking Williams. IMO, this one isn't going to be settled until their careers are over, and even then it will be a debate. I believe Williams will be durable enough to play around 3 more years than Paul, and I honestly feel like Utah's title chances are better for the long haul than New Orleans.

It is hard to argue against Paul right now, as New Orleans has the best record in the West. I would definitely say he is "in the lead" if you will between the two, but as Lebowski said, this is hardly a draft day blunder.

MikeWaters 04-06-2008 11:18 PM

Williams has a much better cast around him. Paul is a magician.

Williams is strong, but Paul is spectacular.

If you combined Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, and John Stockton, you get Chris Paul.