cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Basketball (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Majerus dribble the shot clock out offense (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10414)

jay santos 07-28-2007 01:27 AM

Majerus dribble the shot clock out offense

Just watched the last of a BYU-Utah BB game on BYU classic sports circa early 90's, one of the early Majerus years.

Utah dribbles the shot clock out twice in a row on its last two possessions to lose the game. I'll always miss the Majerus offense, especially the Drisdom version.

il Padrino Ute 07-28-2007 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 107006)
Just watched the last of a BYU-Utah BB game on BYU classic sports circa early 90's, one of the early Majerus years.

Utah dribbles the shot clock out twice in a row on its last two possessions to lose the game. I'll always miss the Majerus offense, especially the Drisdom version.

You must have really loved the Majerus offense as run by Andre Miller, eh?

mpfunk 07-28-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

I miss the Majerus offense too including the Majerus offense run by Tim Drisdom. Considering that the Utes in the only full year that Majerus coached Drisdom finished first in the conference and won a NCAA tournament game. Making it more successful than any season that BYU had over Cleveland or Dave Rose.

cougjunkie 07-28-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 107081)
I miss the Majerus offense too including the Majerus offense run by Tim Drisdom. Considering that the Utes in the only full year that Majerus coached Drisdom finished first in the conference and won a NCAA tournament game. Making it more successful than any season that BYU had over Cleveland or Dave Rose.

Freshman/Sophomore Tim Drisdom was pretty good, Junior/Senior Drisdom ate himself right out of basketball, he looked like he belonged in an Eddie Murphy movie, you know how Eddie is always wearing a fat suit.

UteStar 07-28-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Trust me, all Utah fans miss the Majerus offense. Hopefully, Boylen gets us back to those offenses. I will take an offense that scores enough points to get to 4 Sweet 16s and 2 Elite 8s over an 8 year span any day. It sounds like BYU fans hope the same for our Ute teams.

jay santos 07-28-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpfunk (Post 107081)

If I recall correctly, that Drisdom team would have won two games in the NCAA had Drisdom not dribbled the shot clock out in the last minute.

Majerus had good teams. But his offensive system was horrible. He could recruit. His teams played D and rebounded like a mother. But his offenses were a mess given the talent he had. That was the only reason Reid had a winning record against him.

il Padrino Ute 07-28-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 107122)
...his offensive system was horrible. .

Care to expound on this a bit?

I'm interested to hear how you could come to this conclusion.

Mormon Red Death 10-07-2007 02:47 AM

If you going to talk about the offense under majerus please call it by its correct name.. The Ohhhhfense

Indy Coug 10-07-2007 02:41 PM

His O-fense is beyond boring. You can cite NCAA successes all you want, but aesthetically it is a 40 gallon drum of Epicac.

mpfunk 10-07-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy Coug (Post 132302)
His O-fense is beyond boring. You can't cite NCAA successes all you want, but aesthetically it is a 40 gallon drum of Epicac.

To people who want all flash and no substance it is a boring oh-fense. To people who actually know the game of basketball and enjoy execution of great fundamentals, it is a thing of beauty.

I don't think I have ever seen a more exciting oh-fense than the Andre Miller executed Majerus oh-fense.