cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   According to some posts, Giff's number (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10848)

BYU71 08-13-2007 02:49 PM

According to some posts, Giff's number

is being retired the same day as Detmer's. I have mixed emotions on it. So much so that I am now thinking of the retirement of Jersey's at BYU as just a chance to say thanks to very good players. Thanks, for playing and thanks for not embarassing the University later.

Giff was and is great as a person and what he has done after playing for BYU.
However, his going in with Detmer and ahead of some others shows the retirement of Jersey's isn't about how good of a player you were.

MikeWaters 08-13-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 112197)
is being retired the same day as Detmer's. I have mixed emotions on it. So much so that I am now thinking of the retirement of Jersey's at BYU as just a chance to say thanks to very good players. Thanks, for playing and thanks for not embarassing the University later.

Giff was and is great as a person and what he has done after playing for BYU.
However, his going in with Detmer and ahead of some others shows the retirement of Jersey's isn't about how good of a player you were.

I think it's because they had the same number. And they didn't want Giff to feel bad.

BYU71 08-13-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 112201)
I think it's because they had the same number. And they didn't want Giff to feel bad.

More evidence of the two constituencies you have to play to at BYU. The we want to win crowd and the image crowd.

In order to have a program, bring in the money and pay the bills you have to have the want to win crowd. However, you have to please the image crowd or there will be a lot of verbal grief.

YOhio 08-13-2007 02:59 PM

Giff was a badass. I'm glad they're giving him his due. He helped build the foundation so BYU could get a player like Ty Detmer.

BYU71 08-13-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 112208)
Giff was a badass. I'm glad they're giving him his due. He helped build the foundation so BYU could get a player like Ty Detmer.

Giff. was the first QB I followed intently at BYU. However, if you are doing it for a foundation laid, I suggest Virgil Carter or Sheide.

YOhio 08-13-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 112213)
Giff. was the first QB I followed intently at BYU. However, if you are doing it for a foundation laid, I suggest Virgil Carter or Sheide.

I would like to see both of them honored as well. Carter, Sheide, Nielson, Wilson, McMahon, Young, Bosco, Detmer, Doman and Beck should all be honored as BYU QB legends.

RockyBalboa 08-13-2007 06:30 PM

I think you should threaten to cancel your season tickets renewal in protest.

One of these days you'll eventually get around to something actually worth bitching about.

BYU71 08-13-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 112356)
I think you should threaten to cancel your season tickets renewal in protest.

One of these days you'll eventually get around to something actually worth bitching about.

You think just because whenever you have made a threat the reply has been "go ahead, who gives a shit what you do", that is the response eveyone gets. It isn't.

SeattleUte 08-13-2007 07:45 PM

Yawn

DrumNFeather 08-13-2007 07:51 PM

I know of a certain CB poster that frequently talks with "Giff." I'm certain that he is reserving his seats for this monumentus occasion...Ty who? : )