cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PK on 1320 implies BYU may be considering (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11162)

TheSizzle36 08-24-2007 01:33 PM

PK on 1320 implies BYU may be considering

going Independent.

Probably just rumor-mongering, but he claimed to have had conversations with someone in the AD's office who gave the impression that it may be an option.

It was PK, so take it for what it is worth. It's not like this hasn't been re-hashed a million times on the boards, but this is a bit more than fan speculation.

JohnnyLingo 08-24-2007 01:34 PM

A bit more is right. Not much, though.

TheSizzle36 08-24-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo (Post 116455)
A bit more is right. Not much, though.

Hopefully somebody else caught more to the interview and there was actually some substance behind it. Of course, it was PK, so does anything he ever say have substance?

MikeWaters 08-24-2007 01:51 PM

I would like this.

TheSizzle36 08-24-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 116461)
I would like this.

At least it appears they are looking into it. That more than anything to me says the University cares, and is legitimately upset about the TV deal.

MikeWaters 08-24-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 (Post 116464)
At least it appears they are looking into it. That more than anything to me says the University cares, and is legitimately upset about the TV deal.

of course I don't expect BYU to do anything but continue to be dragged down by all things stupid associated with the MWC.

BYU71 08-24-2007 02:22 PM

This would be a big gamble right now

The fan base is riding high right now. We think we are back. While I think, as stated before, Bronco can pull this off. By that I mine a respectable top 25 team again. Part of that respectability comes from being the top dog in a conference.

We lose the conference affiliation and it will be all based on how we play others. I fear how BYU would schedule. I am not a big fan of the play EWU mentality. WE aren't going to schedule like ND. So my question is, will the product we play against go up or down. I don't want to downgrade our schedule so a few more fans in Stake Centers can see the games on TV.

The other thing is, BYU fans are bandwaggoners. The social fans are the same ones who associate with Romney when he is praised and desert if he says anything that brings some embarassment.

I don't care what we say, we like winners. BYU finances the athletic program through money from fans. If we don't win and are independent, can you say USU.

MikeWaters 08-24-2007 02:25 PM

I think if we don't win in the MWC, we are USU as well.

Although if indepenendent I wonder if we would sign a TV deal with Lifetime or the Country Music Channel, with replays on BYUTV.

MikeWaters 08-24-2007 02:26 PM

also BYU71, I guess my point is that it is a big gamble right now to stay in the MWC.

I wonder if being a successful indepedent might make us more attractive as a BCS pickup.

Archaea 08-24-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 116477)
also BYU71, I guess my point is that it is a big gamble right now to stay in the MWC.

I wonder if being a successful indepedent might make us more attractive as a BCS pickup.

Going independent is a bigger risk than staying with a lackluster conference. ND is the only independent to succeed. All others seek conference affiliation.