cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How humiliating. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14654)

Cali Coug 12-04-2007 11:23 PM

How humiliating.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ork_at_ro.html

I still don't blame Romney for this (assuming what he says is true about meeting with the company), but this is exceptionally embarrassing.

K-dog 12-04-2007 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 159412)
http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ork_at_ro.html

I still don't blame Romney for this (assuming what he says is true about meeting with the company), but this is exceptionally embarrassing.

Meaningless. I'm no Romney supporter but this is meaningless. A company he employed and instructed to hire only legal workers disregarded his instructions so he fired them. I don't see the scandal.

Cali Coug 12-04-2007 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-dog (Post 159414)
Meaningless. I'm no Romney supporter but this is meaningless. A company he employed and instructed to hire only legal workers disregarded his instructions so he fired them. I don't see the scandal.

This could blow up for him, depending on what the company's owner says to the press (and they will ask him to confirm that he spoke with Romney or his people about the illegals situation). If he says he never talked to them about illegals, Romney is in a heap of trouble (unless he can prove he did, which is doubtful).

This isn't meaningless. At best, it is embarrassing. At worst, it will cost him the nomination.

il Padrino Ute 12-05-2007 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 159418)
This could blow up for him, depending on what the company's owner says to the press (and they will ask him to confirm that he spoke with Romney or his people about the illegals situation). If he says he never talked to them about illegals, Romney is in a heap of trouble (unless he can prove he did, which is doubtful).

This isn't meaningless. At best, it is embarrassing. At worst, it will cost him the nomination.

Are you looking at this through the eyes of a liberal, a Democrat or a disinterested third party?

I agree with K-Dog. It's nothing to worry about.

YOhio 12-05-2007 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 159499)
Are you looking at this through the eyes of a liberal, a Democrat or a disinterested third party?

Cali has a legitimate point. In one tired moment six months before the election, John Kerry lost the presidency when he said "I voted for the 82 billion dollar before I voted against it."

George W. Bush had to spend significant resources defending his National Guard service from 30 years previous after he'd already been President for four years.

Two different Clinton administration appointees had troubles because they had employed illegal immigrants.

Romney already has to explain the evolution of near every position he has. He's seen as an opportunist and untrustworthy. This does nothing to dispute this, especially after he became indignent at Rudy for bringing it up last week.

It's the small, stupid things that blow up in a candidates face. This is very dangerous for Romney.

Cali Coug 12-05-2007 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 159499)

Can any single person ever actually know the answer to a question like that? Are you asking the question as a conservative, a Republican or a disinterested third party?

Cali Coug 12-05-2007 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOhio (Post 159506)
Cali has a legitimate point. In one tired moment six months before the election, John Kerry lost the presidency when he said "I voted for the 82 billion dollar before I voted against it."

George W. Bush had to spend significant resources defending his National Guard service from 30 years previous after he'd already been President for four years.

Two different Clinton administration appointees had troubles because they had employed illegal immigrants.

Romney already has to explain the evolution of near every position he has. He's seen as an opportunist and untrustworthy. This does nothing to dispute this, especially after he became indignent at Rudy for bringing it up last week.

It's the small, stupid things that blow up in a candidates face. This is very dangerous for Romney.

Agreed completely. The small and stupid things are almost always what destroys a candidacy. Ask Dean if he would still yell "YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. "

YOhio 12-05-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 159513)
Agreed completely. The small and stupid things are almost always what destroys a candidacy. Ask Dean if he would still yell "YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. "

Great illustration. I had forgotten about that.

This presents several problems for Romney. First, opponents will be able to say that we can't trust Mitt to protect our borders when he can't keep illegal immigrants out of his home. Second, these people were sweeping leaves from his tennis court and manicuring his lawn. This highlights a class issue that most Americans can't sympathize with. The guy working two jobs won't feel too bad for a multi-millionaire who can't find a legit yard service. Third, he has known about it for some time and he still didn't fix the problem. Opponents can raise questions about his famed management ability.

il Padrino Ute 12-05-2007 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 159512)
Can any single person ever actually know the answer to a question like that? Are you asking the question as a conservative, a Republican or a disinterested third party?

I'm asking the question as a conservative who would vote for Romney before he'd ever vote for a Democrat. As a conservative, I believe this is a non-issue.

DJRoss 12-05-2007 04:55 AM

I agree, as well. This could blow up in his face if he cannot confirm his..

claim regarding instructing the owner of the company. Interesting that the Globe went with this story without getting any verification from the contractor regarding Romney's claim.

so

1. Globe found out that Romney's claim was true, and therefore the story was not so interesting anymore and the only way to salvage layout space was to go with the story but leave out confirmation to increase the scandal value.

2. They discovered that Romney's story doesn't jive with the contractors and are wanting to use this as a follow up to create more scandal value.

3. They were dumb enough to run with the story without verifying all the facts and may have dumb luck in that Romney's story doesn't check out or dumb embarrassment because it does and they are now forced to let that dog lie once and for all.