cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Will SC get the Michigan Wolverine treatment? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15734)

TripletDaddy 01-09-2008 06:33 PM

Will SC get the Michigan Wolverine treatment?

This review of the new Reggie Bush book called "Tarnished Heisman" came out today at the LA Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...ghts-from.html

Looks like Reggie took about 50K of the 220K his family received from agents.

So far, SC has not been implicated. The NCAA rule seems to imply that if money is received from boosters or those associated with the program, then the school could also be punished. However, when an agent does it, not sure what happens. In other words, can SC be punished in the form of scholarships, bowl eligibility, etc?

Obviously, SC could still be punished indirectly if Reggie is declared ineligible.

On the other hand, while it would suck, does it matter? Doesnt change much to go back 4 years ago. SC will still be pre-season #1 next year.

RockyBalboa 01-09-2008 06:36 PM

Is it any different than Chris Webber at Michigan?

Doing essentially the same thing and then lying about it....only later to admit ti and the Fab Five banners being brought down and Final Fours being stricken from the record.

However I agree,,,it would do nothing to effect their potential #1 pre-season ranking.

Although my guess right now is that Georgia will get that ranking.

TripletDaddy 01-09-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 172592)
Is it any different than Chris Webber at Michigan?

Doing essentially the same thing and then lying about it....only later to admit ti and the Fab Five banners being brought down and Final Fours being stricken from the record.

However I agree,,,it would do nothing to effect their potential #1 pre-season ranking.

Although my guess right now is that Georgia will get that ranking.

Yes, it actually is different than Michigan. As I pointed out, you can go to the NCAA and read the rules. Kind of interesting.

But in a nutshell, the rule prohibits the school or those associated with the school or its program to give benefits. The school has a duty to know or at least to be suspicious.

In the case of the Fab, it was a Michigan booster who was giving them cash (and also giving money to Michigan as a booster).

In the case of SC, it was a sports agent who was not associated with SC in any way, nor donating.

So as I asked before, it will be interesting to see what happens.

SC has Mitch Mustain also in the mix now at QB, so I would be surprised if they dont rank #1....or at least #2.

smokymountainrain 01-09-2008 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 172596)
Yes, it actually is different than Michigan. As I pointed out, you can go to the NCAA and read the rules. Kind of interesting.

But in a nutshell, the rule prohibits the school or those associated with the school or its program to give benefits. The school has a duty to know or at least to be suspicious.

In the case of the Fab, it was a Michigan booster who was giving them cash (and also giving money to Michigan as a booster).

In the case of SC, it was a sports agent who was not associated with SC in any way, nor donating.

So as I asked before, it will be interesting to see what happens.

SC has Mitch Mustain also in the mix now at QB, so I would be surprised if they dont rank #1....or at least #2.

SC should be loaded next year, but that ? at QB will be interesting to watch. You've watched much more closely, but I haven't been impressed with Sanchez in the little I've seen of him. Mustain struggled a bit in his freshman season at Arkansas, but I expect him to give Sanchez a run. You have to think Sanchez will have the job based on experience, but wouldn't be shocked to see Mustain get an opportunity during the season.

On an unrelated note:
The last name slips my mind...the big safety from O'Dea HS in Washington, he's #2 I believe...Taylor _______. Is he back next season?

cougjunkie 01-09-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokymountainrain (Post 172688)
SC should be loaded next year, but that ? at QB will be interesting to watch. You've watched much more closely, but I haven't been impressed with Sanchez in the little I've seen of him. Mustain struggled a bit in his freshman season at Arkansas, but I expect him to give Sanchez a run. You have to think Sanchez will have the job based on experience, but wouldn't be shocked to see Mustain get an opportunity during the season.

On an unrelated note:
The last name slips my mind...the big safety from O'Dea HS in Washington, he's #2 I believe...Taylor _______. Is he back next season?

Taylor Mays I saw that some are projecting him as a first round pick, so he may come out.

Also Herbstreit during the Rose Bowl said that Sanchez will be the first team Pac-10 QB next year. He said Mustain is a nice player but Sanchez is a superstar.

TripletDaddy 01-09-2008 08:11 PM

Taylor Mays. He is awesome. Just finished his sophomore year and will be back, although some have projected him to be a nice pick in the 2009 NFL draft. We will see.

yes, he is from the Seattle area.

smokymountainrain 01-09-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 172699)
Taylor Mays I saw that some are projecting him as a first round pick, so he may come out.

Also Herbstreit during the Rose Bowl said that Sanchez will be the first team Pac-10 QB next year. He said Mustain is a nice player but Sanchez is a superstar.

We shall see. I'm not seeing it from Sanchez.

TripletDaddy 01-09-2008 08:30 PM

Sanchez looked great against Notre Dame on the road.

He has had two years to learn the offense. If he does get the nod, I have confidence in him. But I am really intrigued by Mustain. he showed enough flash at Arkansas to get the Trojan faithful pretty excited (except of course during the 50-14 loss against SC at home).

smokymountainrain 01-09-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripletDaddy (Post 172717)
Sanchez looked great against Notre Dame on the road.

He has had two years to learn the offense. If he does get the nod, I have confidence in him. But I am really intrigued by Mustain. he showed enough flash at Arkansas to get the Trojan faithful pretty excited (except of course during the 50-14 loss against SC at home).

I was just about to ask what you thought about Sanchez. Sounds like either way, you're fairly optimistic about the QB situation down there. Now if they could just recruit some athletes.

Surfah 01-09-2008 09:02 PM

Sanchez couldn't get it done against Hart.