cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Gangland on the History Channel (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16221)

Filsdepac 01-25-2008 07:39 PM

Gangland on the History Channel

Anyone watch this show? I watched an episode last night about the Nuestra Familia in NorCal, and it was really interesting. I remember in Jr. High and High School in the 90s there were a lot of XIV taggings around town, and I knew it was gang related, but didn't realize how big it was.

For those that don't know, XIV is 14 and N is the 14th letter in the alphabet. N is for Norte, or North, and the gang is a huge rival of the Mexican Mafia in LA. I was fascinated by the structure of the whole thing, they have a gang constitution, recruiters, and an org chart. I was just waiting to see if an accounting firm has given an opinion on their internal controls.

Anyway, interesting show for those who are naive to what's going on, like me.

cougjunkie 01-25-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filsdepac (Post 178111)
Anyone watch this show? I watched an episode last night about the Nuestra Familia in NorCal, and it was really interesting. I remember in Jr. High and High School in the 90s there were a lot of XIV taggings around town, and I knew it was gang related, but didn't realize how big it was.

For those that don't know, XIV is 14 and N is the 14th letter in the alphabet. N is for Norte, or North, and the gang is a huge rival of the Mexican Mafia in LA. I was fascinated by the structure of the whole thing, they have a gang constitution, recruiters, and an org chart. I was just waiting to see if an accounting firm has given an opinion on their internal controls.

That is a good show, so is American Gangster (the tv show, not the movie), Its amazing how structured most of these gangs are.

RockyBalboa 01-25-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filsdepac (Post 178111)

I saw the episode about the Hells Angels organization.

2 men, 1 an FBI Agent, and the other an Informer, decided to infiltrate the gang in AZ and it was stunning to see what depths they'd go to and how violent they would have to be in order to get the Hells Angels to trust them and the 2-3 year process it takes to even be inducted into their group.

MikeWaters 01-25-2008 08:14 PM

when are they going to have an episode about jefe and bernard and thibious and all the other minions on cb?

il Padrino Ute 01-25-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 178133)
I saw the episode about the Hells Angels organization.

2 men, 1 an FBI Agent, and the other an Informer, decided to infiltrate the gang in AZ and it was stunning to see what depths they'd go to and how violent they would have to be in order to get the Hells Angels to trust them and the 2-3 year process it takes to even be inducted into their group.

If this is the same one I saw, the most disheartening part was the lack of remorse shown by the Hells Angels who were now in prison.

RockyBalboa 01-25-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 178139)
If this is the same one I saw, the most disheartening part was the lack of remorse shown by the Hells Angels who were now in prison.

Yep, it was the same one. Even in Prison they're revered as an authority figure and big decisions will often be ran by them for approval.

il Padrino Ute 01-25-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyBalboa (Post 178140)
Yep, it was the same one. Even in Prison they're revered as an authority figure and big decisions will often be ran by them for approval.

The one that was the Sergent at Arms was who really perplexed me. If he knew the guy was a cop from the beginning and he's the one who makes the decision whether to allow a new "recruit" - for lack of a better term - into the gang, why did it let it happen?

The cop really struggled with it. It turned out that the Hells Angels really did care about him and loved him as a family member, but he had to do his job because he knew that despite their loyalty to each other, bottom line is that they are criminals.

MikeWaters 01-25-2008 08:23 PM

Watch the film Donnie Brasco.