cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Anyone know what (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17142)

exUte 02-26-2008 07:20 PM

Anyone know what

'unnatural affection' is, that is quoted in the bible?

SoonerCoug 02-26-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exUte (Post 189855)
'unnatural affection' is, that is quoted in the bible?

Yes.

woot 02-26-2008 07:25 PM

If we define "natural" as "that which occurs most frequently outside of civilization," then strict heterosexuality is fairly unnatural. I'll assume by "natural" they mean "what I'm most used to or comfortable with."

RC Vikings 02-26-2008 07:30 PM

Animals, guys and ugly women.

Sleeping in EQ 02-26-2008 07:30 PM

I hope one of our Greek scholars will weigh in, but translations I've consulted cast doubt on the idea that the passage refers to homosexuality. For comparision:

2 Tim. 3:3

NRSV: 3 inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes, haters of good,

ESV: 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good,

GNT: 3 they will be unkind, merciless, slanderers, violent, and fierce; they will hate the good;

NASB: 3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,

NIV: 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,

KJV: Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Solon 02-26-2008 07:48 PM

ἄστοργοι (without natural affection) refers to the lack of affection (στοργή) that occurs naturally (duh), usually between parents and children. Rarely sexual love. So the LSJ Greek Lexicon.

We would probably say "heartless" or "cruel."

exUte 02-26-2008 07:49 PM

That seems pretty clear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 189891)
ἄστοργοι (without natural affection) refers to the lack of affection (στοργή) that occurs naturally (duh), usually between parents and children. Rarely sexual love. So the LSJ Greek Lexicon.

these days.........just open up the newspapers on a daily basis.

Sleeping in EQ 02-26-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon (Post 189891)

Thanks, Solon.

SoCalCoug 02-26-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ (Post 189873)
I hope one of our Greek scholars will weigh in, but translations I've consulted cast doubt on the idea that the passage refers to homosexuality. For comparision:

2 Tim. 3:3

NRSV: 3 inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes, haters of good,

ESV: 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good,

GNT: 3 they will be unkind, merciless, slanderers, violent, and fierce; they will hate the good;

NASB: 3 unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,

NIV: 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,

KJV: Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

I don't think that's the answer Exie was looking for.

jay santos 02-26-2008 08:08 PM

SIEQ and Solon, thanks. Good stuff.