cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cycling (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   that was something I won't try again soon (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17748)

Archaea 03-16-2008 01:58 PM

that was something I won't try again soon

so I went outside in summer gear, looking at weather.com which predicted cloudy.

It started out cold, only to become colder, windier and then to driving rain. Shoes begin filling up, shivers begin set in, and the road become slick as ice. Of course I'm the only idiot on the road, but who's counting.

MikeWaters 03-16-2008 02:06 PM

I did my first ride of the season yesterday. 14 miles in 15mph. Blazing.

Archaea 03-16-2008 02:36 PM

I've been in much colder temperatures, but I was prepared for them. This time I was unprepared, and the driving rain did me in.

Sliding around corners was fun and wondering if the breaks would kick in was also a riot.

Jeff Lebowski 03-16-2008 03:03 PM

I was all set to take my first ride yesterday, but it started snowing in the afternoon. Man, I am sick of winter.

Archaea 03-16-2008 03:10 PM

It snowed here as well. This sucks, now I must finish my workout inside.

MikeWaters 03-16-2008 03:10 PM

we are driving with the air conditioner on in Texas already.

Archaea 03-16-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 198836)
we are driving with the air conditioner on in Texas already.

Well you suck but I'll be in the tropics tomorrow.

RC Vikings 03-16-2008 04:35 PM

Thirty mile ride yesterday on roads that were covered with snow earlier that morning. Because of all the grit, water and sometimes snow I take out the mountain bike. Weather was in the high 20's low 30's and their is still so much snow up here that is some places it is piled up eight to ten feet on both sides of the road. It feels like I'm riding in a tunnel.

I was cold, hungry and tired when I got done but happy because it was thirty more miles then anybody else got in today up here.

Conditions here were still better than a cold rain. Arch it sounds like you will be ready for that vacation. By the way where are you going?

Archaea 03-16-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC Vikings (Post 198852)
Thirty mile ride yesterday on roads that were covered with snow earlier that morning. Because of all the grit, water and sometimes snow I take out the mountain bike. Weather was in the high 20's low 30's and their is still so much snow up here that is some places it is piled up eight to ten feet on both sides of the road. It feels like I'm riding in a tunnel.

I was cold, hungry and tired when I got done but happy because it was thirty more miles then anybody else got in today up here.

Conditions here were still better than a cold rain. Arch it sounds like you will be ready for that vacation. By the way where are you going?

Maui. Time to head up Hale Akala. It's the longest climb I've ever done. 37 miles straight up.

RC Vikings 03-16-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 198854)
Maui. Time to head up Hale Akala. It's the longest climb I've ever done. 37 miles straight up.

We drove up it last year and it's hard to imagine a tougher climb. 10,000 feet of vertical with no breaks. It's on my list of things to do someday. Good luck and have fun.