cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Book of Judas (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806)

SteelBlue 04-07-2006 06:59 AM

The Book of Judas

Anyone else think this new find is fascinating?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/06/sc...rtner=homepage

Robin 04-07-2006 12:50 PM

Of course you know the text can not be true, since:

1. For Jesus to suggest to Judas that he sell him down the river would be like hiring a hitman to kill yourself... a form of suicide.

2. Modern LDS prophets have made it pretty clear that Judas was a son of perdition, and NOT a cohort.

Lucky for you, you can ignore this apocryphal b.s. You have the direct line! Unless something is authenticating the historical nature of the BOM, or the Pearl of Great Price, you might as well ignore it like Bill_at_Kubla_Khan.

jay santos 04-07-2006 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin

1. For Jesus to suggest to Judas that he sell him down the river would be like hiring a hitman to kill yourself... a form of suicide.

2. Modern LDS prophets have made it pretty clear that Judas was a son of perdition, and NOT a cohort.

Lucky for you, you can ignore this apocryphal b.s. You have the direct line! Unless something is authenticating the historical nature of the BOM, or the Pearl of Great Price, you might as well ignore it like Bill_at_Kubla_Khan.

Robin,

That's a bit of a stretch. You seem like an intelligent guy, but you come across immature with stuff like this. One thing you need to come to terms with is that there are many men hundreds? thousands? who are more intelligent than you (and me), who look at the gospel with just as much scholarly rigor as you that believe it. So for you to come across condescending as you do sometimes, is really just a little silly.

I read the article and am intrigued but have some issues with it.

1. It appears it was thought to be written between 100 AD and 200 AD, several generations after the death of Judas and not written by Judas?
2. There's an existing quote (Irenaeus) about the alleged book of Judas that dates back to the time period bashing on it as Gnostic bullcrap, i.e. we've been expecting it all along and expecting it to be possibly propagating Gnostic "heresy".
3. The main quote from Jesus is overtly Gnostic "the man that clothes this body". Doesn't sound like the Jesus in any of the other gospels to me.

The discovery is interesting, but I wouldn't use it to bash Christians just yet. If anything it sounds like it will give us a better understanding of the Christian climate of the first and second centuries. In fact at first glance my thoughts are that it will do nothing but solidify Mormon belief in the apostacy of the Christian church during this period.

fusnik11 04-07-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin

a. false...

b. false...

ha, ha, ha, ha....

so false dude....

JohnnyLingo 04-07-2006 04:38 PM

Can't speak for #1, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Talmage
Judas Iscariot is the only Judean named among the Twelve; all the others were Galileans. He is generally understood to have been a resident of Kerioth, a small town in the southerly part of Judea, but a few miles west from the Dead Sea, though for this tradition, as also for the signification of his surname, we lack direct authority. So too we are uninformed as to his lineage, except that his father's name was Simon He served as treasurer or agent of the apostolic company, receiving and disbursing such offerings as were made by disciples and friends, and purchasing supplies as required. That he was unprincipled and dishonest in the discharge of this trust is attested by John. His avaricious and complaining nature revealed itself in his murmuring against what he called a waste of costly spikenard, in the anointing of the Lord by Mary but a few days before the crucifixion; he hypocritically suggested that the precious ointment could have been sold and the proceeds given to the poor. The crowning deed of perfidy in the career of Iscariot was his deliberate betrayal of his Master to death; and this the infamous creature did for a price, and accomplished the foul deed with a kiss. He brought his guilty life to a close by a revolting suicide and his spirit went to the awful fate reserved for the sons of perdition. (James E. Talmage, Jesus the Christ, Ch.16, Pg.225)

Keep it up, fus. It's fun proving you an idiot. And to preempt your next argument, Elder Talmage was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve.

fusnik11 04-07-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
Can't speak for #1, but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Talmage
Judas Iscariot is the only Judean named among the Twelve; all the others were Galileans. He is generally understood to have been a resident of Kerioth, a small town in the southerly part of Judea, but a few miles west from the Dead Sea, though for this tradition, as also for the signification of his surname, we lack direct authority. So too we are uninformed as to his lineage, except that his father's name was Simon He served as treasurer or agent of the apostolic company, receiving and disbursing such offerings as were made by disciples and friends, and purchasing supplies as required. That he was unprincipled and dishonest in the discharge of this trust is attested by John. His avaricious and complaining nature revealed itself in his murmuring against what he called a waste of costly spikenard, in the anointing of the Lord by Mary but a few days before the crucifixion; he hypocritically suggested that the precious ointment could have been sold and the proceeds given to the poor. The crowning deed of perfidy in the career of Iscariot was his deliberate betrayal of his Master to death; and this the infamous creature did for a price, and accomplished the foul deed with a kiss. He brought his guilty life to a close by a revolting suicide and his spirit went to the awful fate reserved for the sons of perdition. (James E. Talmage, Jesus the Christ, Ch.16, Pg.225)

Keep it up, fus. It's fun proving you an idiot. And to preempt your next argument, Elder Talmage was a member of the Quorum of the Twelve.

dude you are a dumbass...did you read robins statement?

he maintains 'Modern LDS prophets have made it pretty clear that Judas was a son of perdition' which is patently false. it aint even close to be true.

JohnnyLingo 04-07-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

he maintains 'Modern LDS prophets have made it pretty clear that Judas was a son of perdition' which is patently false. it aint even close to be true.

Um... what part of "Quorum of the Twelve" don't you get? Did you not sustain the current members of the Quorum of the Twelve as prophets, seers, and revelators? Wait... don't answer that. I'm sure you raised your right hand, but my guess is that your heart was far from it.

Quote:

be careful with what you quote from talmages work, it isnt 100% true...
Oh, of course... I'll be sure to consult you about what, if any, of a General Authority's words are true.

fusnik11 04-07-2006 05:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Um... what part of "Quorum of the Twelve" don't you get? Did you not sustain the current members of the Quorum of the Twelve as prophets, seers, and revelators? Wait... don't answer that. I'm sure you raised your right hand, but my guess is that your heart was far from it.

Quote:

be careful with what you quote from talmages work, it isnt 100% true...
Oh, of course... I'll be sure to consult you about what, if any, of a General Authority's words are true.

seriously are you that ignorant?

lets go back in time...

robin said a....

i said a was false...

you quoted one apostle....

which still makes what robin said false....

need we go on?

as far as the consistency of talmages book....one need only look to currrent scholarship to understand there exist parts of his book that are not correct. is it a wonderfully enlightening book? of course it is, but just because it was written by a member of the quorum who was sustained doesnt make it 100% accurate.....

JohnnyLingo 04-07-2006 05:38 PM

Excellent job resorting to the "Confuse the enemy" strategy.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Good day.

fusnik11 04-07-2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

Excellent job resorting to the "Confuse the enemy" strategy.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Good day.

anyone else here chuckling at how stupid johnny is?

one more time stupid shit....

robin said, 'Modern LDS prophets have made it pretty clear that Judas was a son of perdition' you see that 's' after prophet? that means he meant more than one has taught the idea, and you see the statement 'pretty clear' that followed? that means he meant that it has been taught explicitly by our leaders....

i said that is false, as i have not read, nor heard many prophetS, make it PRETTY CLEAR that judas was a son or perdition....

johnny replied with ONE quote from ONE apostle, expressing his opinion on judas....

to me that does not constitute prophets making it pretty clear that judas is a son of perdition.