cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Just called as Scoutmaster... (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1827)

MikeWaters 04-10-2006 01:41 PM

Just called as Scoutmaster...

...pretty scary.

However, boys only do scouts twice a month, and we don't have very many young men.

Still, this is a very different calling than any I've had before (exec sec, Sunday school presidency).

I'd like to be out of the box a little bit, though I'm not sure yet how.

By out of the box, I don't mean "meet with no uniforms and play basketball." I'd like to broaden the horizons for these kids, esp. with exposure to careers (not sure that many of them are on a college track).

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Archaea 04-10-2006 01:42 PM

my condolences. However, if you like scouting I imagine you'll do great.

MikeWaters 04-10-2006 01:46 PM

I'm a litte bit worried about scout camp.

apparently nothing has been planned yet.

I wonder if I can swing it with work.

DirtyHippieUTE 04-10-2006 03:27 PM

Honestly... I don't think there is a better calling in the church...

I've seen people make a huge difference in the lives of kids through scouting (I've also seen people who just hung around and played with the kids).

Fortunately for me, I had a few really good scoutmasters. While we did the usual outdoor stuff, we also did a whole lot of other stuff that really stuck with me for the rest of my life (not that the outdoor stuff wasn't cool, learning to rappell off an 80' cliff and SCUBA dive were both things that made me feel really cool despite the fact that I didn't play football or make the basketball team).

I think the first thing I remember learning was the first aid/lifesaving crap. My scout master didn't just do the first aid merit badge, he had us all get 1st responder and cpr certified. This later created oportunities for some of my friends to get jobs (lifeguards, etc...). For me, it gave me a lot of self confidence. Despite the fact that I've never had to use my knowledge of treating "sucking chest wounds," I am truly grateful that I learned how to deal with shock, keep people from moving a person with a potential spine injury, and how to call 911 and not scream into the phone like a moron.

One big thing that I took from scouting was an understanding of the role of government and citizens in the community. Chalk up my eagerness to vote as a younger man to Scouting. My scoutmaster did a good job of showing us that bitching about things didn't have nearly the effect that voting and getting involved in the community can have.

Another big one was the introduction to printing/graphic arts. One of my scoutmasters knew a guy who owned a printing company. One of our little field trips turned me on to a field that ended up being my career for 8+ years after college.

I think your idea of being "out of the box" is actually more in line with what the Scouting program has in mind. I think we always played basketball or did some kind of activity like that but it was almost always after some useful/meaningful lesson or field trip.

The outdoor stuff is easy. Scout camps are pretty much plug and play. You just find one that you can go to and the camp runs the whole thing. If you can't swing it with your job, that's what assistant Scoutmasters are for. Our scoutmaster was the US Attny. for the State of Utah. He RARELY had time to go to scout camp. However, a few of the dads (including mine) and the assistant scoutmaster (who was always very involved) picked up the slack with ease.

tooblue 04-10-2006 06:12 PM

I too have just been called as the Scout leader ... after 8 years in the Bishopric I'm more ready for the change than frightend!!

I only do out of the box stuff ... this next week we will be learning how to use public transit ... buses, commuter train and subway on our way to a Blue jays game!

A canoe portage and fishing derby is planned for the late spring.

We are hoping to find a plot of ground somewhere and plant a garden. Or, the boys also want to do a science fair!

The boys planned all of the above activities. My first night with them two weeks ago was one big planning session. I broke the troop up into two teams. The teams had 10 minutes to plan three 'cool' activities (within reasonable budget & travel parameters), appoint a spokes person and prepare to present their ideas at the end of the 10 minutes to the entire troop and leaders.

The leaders judged which team won, choosing their three activities as the ‘major’ activities for the next couple of months. After the planning we played of couple of games of dodge ball. To close the evening we went back to the planning, gave each boy an assignment and sent them home. One boy exclaimed at the end of the night; “I never knew planning could be this much fun!” Let's hope he's as enthusiastic later in life as a member of the EQ presidency :lol:

Other activities we have done or planned:

Orienteering (I started this past week by breaking the troop into two ‘pirate’ teams. Each team had a treasure (bag of candy) to hide on the building grounds and then they were to make a treasure map with clues ie landmarks and signs. Each team then hunted the other teams treasure)

First aid and CPR

Photography lessons

Lot’s of hiking!!!

If you have some cool activities send them back my way!

The_Tick 04-10-2006 08:56 PM

Sounds cool tb...

I wish I could get my Deacons, Teachers, and Priests that excited in planning.

I can't get them to do anything.

They hate scouting, don't want to to DTG, and don't want to do any service.

They would be willing to come up with 3 "fun" activities in about 30 seconds, but can't cup up with one of the aformentioned in 1 hour.

tooblue 04-10-2006 10:33 PM

I can relate, at least as boy ... growing up I hated scouts. The single biggest reason was I struggled to relate to the other boys. We were the not so wealthy family in a SLC Ward with many VERY wealthy families. Most large activities were centered upon someone's cabin, boat, ATVs or Jet skis. In order for me to participate I had to rely upon the charity of others, and that was frustrating.

Seriously it’s not as if we were poor, we just simply didn’t own a cabin or take trips to New Port and Powel every summer. The other boys were used to that type of excitement. As a family we camped in an old camper. We had a blast walking up and down a canyon for hours fishing in a small stream, eating camp food and hanging out. My father organized this type of trip once and all the other boys said for three days was; ‘is this it?’ That was it for me –I never attended again.

The other thing that drove me crazy was the fact that we rarely played sports at an activity night. No dodge ball, no basketball, nothing! We also rarely hiked or did anything outdoors.

I will admit that the troop of boys I now work with come from very similar social and economic backgrounds. They all know what it means and how to have fun on a budget. Two of the boys are nonmembers who are just happy to participate in activities that are safe and free –as are their parents. That’s likely why they easily come up with the type of ideas I listed. We also spend as much time as possible hiking in conservation areas –there tons of lakes and streams separating suburbs and running through the cities.

In fairness each team of boys did come up with at least one or two outlandish activities, and there were many calls for video games nights etc. It also helps that my son is a scout and for the most part is on my side.

So far I’m having a great time and I hope I can keep capitalize on the momentum.

tooblue 04-10-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Tick
Sounds cool tb...

I wish I could get my Deacons, Teachers, and Priests that excited in planning.

I can't get them to do anything.

They hate scouting, don't want to to DTG, and don't want to do any service.

They would be willing to come up with 3 "fun" activities in about 30 seconds, but can't cup up with one of the aformentioned in 1 hour.

We are broken into distinct groups, I look after the Deacons and scouting, the teachers and priests do their own thing. Scouting really only goes to age 14 up north here.

The_Tick 04-11-2006 12:08 AM

Same here...

I am the YM Pres. though...

So I get to mingle in it all.

bluegoose 04-11-2006 12:23 AM

I think the biggest challenge for a scoutmaster is scouting. After they pass about age 13, many lose interest. Then they are primarily interested only in the activities.

I was YM pres for about 4 years and went through several cycles, with regard to ages and numbers of youth. We started out with one priest and a gaggle of deacons/teachers. scouting was big back then. as they got older, scouting phased itself out of the older boys activities and we did more high adventure activities - backpacking, climbing, rafting, some cycling. I didn't have to do a whole of convincing to get this particular group of boys to participate. The ones that weren't into the activity would still come along just to hang with the other guys.

Merit badges and advancement were really pushed hard on the younger boys in our troop. By the time they hit the priests quorum, they were effectively burned out on scouting but they were all Life rank, lacking only a project. Most of the boys (5 of 6 in just over a year) completed their eagle projects just minutes before their 18th b-day. I was encouraging, but not overbearing. The one that did not finish his project had very overbearing parents which may have contributed to his refusal to finish the project.

Scoutmaster is a great calling, but can be very time intensive. pray for good assistant scoutmasters and/or varsity team leaders. It will make your job much easier.

btw, I went on several week long scout camps and backpacking trips and absolutely loved it. Now that I'm released, all I have to look forward to is Fathers/sons and the occasional family car camping trip.