cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Awful no-call at the end of the Spurs game. (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19735)

Cali Coug 05-28-2008 04:07 AM

Awful no-call at the end of the Spurs game.

I can't stand the Spurs or the Lakers, but how do you not call that?

I don't think it is a 3 shot foul, though. I think the foul was before the act of shooting, so it should have been a 2 shot foul. Still, that was pretty bad.

MikeWaters 05-28-2008 04:08 AM

NBA is unwatchable crap.

Surfah 05-28-2008 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 225858)
I can't stand the Spurs or the Lakers, but how do you not call that?

I don't think it is a 3 shot foul, though. I think the foul was before the act of shooting, so it should have been a 2 shot foul. Still, that was pretty bad.

The refs always put their whistles in their pockets when there is 5 seconds or less. No call is always better than a bad call at the end of a game because there is no chance for a make up call.

Cali Coug 05-28-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfah33 (Post 225862)
The refs always put their whistles in their pockets when there is 5 seconds or less. No call is always better than a bad call at the end of a game because there is no chance for a make up call.

In this case, a call could have extended the game into overtime. That seems like a better result than doing nothing given that the foul was pretty blatant.

TripletDaddy 05-28-2008 04:20 AM

I thought it was a wonderful no-call.

Let these young warriors battle it out mano-a-mano, instead of having the zebras decide the outcome.

Once again, good triumphs over evil and all is well in the kingdom.

Jeff Lebowski 05-28-2008 04:32 AM

That was awful.

RockyBalboa 05-28-2008 04:52 AM

I don't really care either way.

I've been saying for awhile the Lakers are going to win it all.

I pity the Pistons or Celtics.

I hate the Lakers,,,but they're the best team right now. They have that aura of poopy destiny.

jay santos 05-28-2008 03:55 PM

The worst call in basketball is the call where a player fakes the shot, the defender jumps straight up, the shooter leans into him, draws contact, and shoots. THIS IS NOT A FOUL. A defender is allowed to jump straight up and the player who initiates contact should be called for a foul.

I like the call last night.

Defender jumps in, shooter leans in, no foul.
Defender jumps straight up, shooter leans in, charge.
Defender jumps in, shooter jumps straight up, defender's jump creates contact, foul on defender.

Cali Coug 05-28-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 225940)
The worst call in basketball is the call where a player fakes the shot, the defender jumps straight up, the shooter leans into him, draws contact, and shoots. THIS IS NOT A FOUL. A defender is allowed to jump straight up and the player who initiates contact should be called for a foul.

I like the call last night.

Defender jumps in, shooter leans in, no foul.
Defender jumps straight up, shooter leans in, charge.
Defender jumps in, shooter jumps straight up, defender's jump creates contact, foul on defender.

You can hardly claim that the defender jumped straight up last night. He was running at full sprint to block the shot and took an angle that threw him into the shooter. It was a very obvious foul.

jay santos 05-28-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cali Coug (Post 225943)
You can hardly claim that the defender jumped straight up last night. He was running at full sprint to block the shot and took an angle that threw him into the shooter. It was a very obvious foul.

I'd say it was scenario #1 from my post. Both defender and shooter jump forward to meet each other, no foul.