cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Professional Sports (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I still remember watching the '86 Masters with my Dad (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20258)

Runner Coug 06-16-2008 09:11 PM

I still remember watching the '86 Masters with my Dad

and seeing Jack Nicklaus win. It was the most compelling golf tournament I've ever watched, not that I'm a golf connoisseur. But I would have to say this US Open tops it. Tiger Woods is just a straight up freak of nature.

il Padrino Ute 06-16-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner Coug (Post 232392)
and seeing Jack Nicklaus win. It was the most compelling golf tournament I've ever watched, not that I'm a golf connoisseur. But I would have to say this US Open tops it. Tiger Woods is just a straight up freak of nature.

I think Tiger is a robot. His nerves are much too steady in pressure situations to be human.

He is, quite simply, the best at what he does, no matter the sport. As good as MJ was, he sucked in basketball compared to Tiger at golf.

Archaea 06-17-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 232394)
I think Tiger is a robot. His nerves are much too steady in pressure situations to be human.

He is, quite simply, the best at what he does, no matter the sport. As good as MJ was, he sucked in basketball compared to Tiger at golf.

Remember Edwin Moses when he was unbeatable in the 400m Hurdles?

Or Eddy Merckx the Cannibal?

il Padrino Ute 06-17-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 232450)
Remember Edwin Moses when he was unbeatable in the 400m Hurdles?

Yes, Moses was unbeatable as well. I suppose you could say he was Tiger's equal in that regard. I had forgotten about him.

I can't say I remember Merckx, so I googled him and learned he was a cyclist. A very impressive record.

Mormon Red Death 06-17-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 232450)

what about Lance? 7 straight tour de france's has to mean something.

Archaea 06-17-2008 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death (Post 232464)
what about Lance? 7 straight tour de france's has to mean something.

Yes but Eddy destroyed the competition in all races.

mpfunk 06-17-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute (Post 232394)

I think Wayne Gretzky belongs in the group with Tiger.