cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1 Cor 10:13 Misinterpreted? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20996)

jay santos 07-17-2008 02:52 PM

1 Cor 10:13 Misinterpreted?

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such
as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you
to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the
temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear
it.

Standard interpretation of this scripture in today's church is that the "escape" or "bear it" is reference to abstinence from sin.

As I read Adam's quote from Elder Packer in other thread using this scripture I wondered if this is a misinterpretation.

It doesn't fit in the context of the rest of Paul's teachings.

An interpretatioin that definitely fits in the context of Paul's other teachings would be that the "escape" or "bear it" IS NOT abstinence from sin but it is a quality of "don't let sin or temptation keep you from following Christ" or "don't give up" or "don't switch teams from being for God to being against God".

From the stereotypical Tex style works based LDS view this waters down the teaching, but from a grace based view it is still a powerful teaching.

Tex 07-17-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 243606)
From the stereotypical Tex style works based LDS view this waters down the teaching, but from a grace based view it is still a powerful teaching.

Are you really incapable of just saying "stereotypical works-based LDS view"? Is it really necessary to be a complete jerk and unfairly drag my name into it?

Is that really so hard for you?

jay santos 07-17-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 243612)
Are you really incapable of just saying "stereotypical works-based LDS view"? Is it really necessary to be a complete jerk and unfairly drag my name into it?

Is that really so hard for you?

I can work on it, but it will be hard.

MikeWaters 07-17-2008 03:03 PM

Jay, say "Mex style".

That way you haven't used his name, but he will still take it as an insult.

jay santos 07-17-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 243614)

P.S. I didn't add the word "hard ass" this time or anything else derogatory. I was purposefully trying to take that kind of language out as to not act like the grace route is a higher route, just a different route.

Tex 07-17-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 243614)

Right, being a jerk comes naturally to you.

Sorry to distract from your attempt to water down the gospel. Please, continue.

MikeWaters 07-17-2008 03:21 PM

For being so righteous, Tex sure is sarcastic.

TripletDaddy 07-17-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 243620)
Right, being a jerk comes naturally to you.

Do you have to bring mike's name into this? Why do you have to be such a jerk?

jay santos 07-17-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 243620)

Is this serious or sarcasm? I find the current interpretation conflicting with other scripture and doctrine and generally not helpful. I find my interpretation powerful and strong and in no way waters down the gospel.

pelagius 07-17-2008 03:35 PM

Jay, I think you are being too hard on the standard interpretation. I think grace is pretty fully part of it. Even in that view the idea isn't that you can overcame temptation by yourself it is that because you have entered into a covenant with God that he will give you the strength and provide a way to "escape" from the temptation. The last part of the verse clearly indicates that God will make an escape possible. I don't think I have heard the standard view ever contradict that notion. That makes this verse and the standard view very much about grace even if most commentators don't make that explicit.

My only objection is to the word "temptation." I think Paul is talking more generally about testing from God as reflecting in modern translations:

Quote:

12 So if you think you are standing, watch out that you do not fall. 13 No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.