cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does anyone actually fast for 24 hours? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2216)

danimal 05-09-2006 04:44 AM

Does anyone actually fast for 24 hours?

Growing up my family would would eat through the evening on Saturday, then break the fast around 3 on Sunday afternoon, depending on when church ended. I still pretty much do the same thing. My in-laws, however, are uberfasters and go for the full 24 hours. They blow my mind. I feel exhausted doing just what I do. It doesn't help that my wife doesn't fast (breastfeeding) and watching her eat is torture. But who am I kidding, I wouldn't fast for longer if I was married to Ghandi.

So how long do you fast for?

mpfunk 05-09-2006 04:48 AM

Normally I try to do the full 24 hours. Usually eat my last meal around 4 pm on Saturday, then eat right after church. Of course this Sunday, I simply forgot about fastings. Got to church and was confused at first, then realized yes in fact it was the first Sunday of the month.

ute4ever 05-09-2006 04:54 PM

I go 24 hours. This week sucked because Saturday night I was at a Padres game, and enjoyed ballpark food until 8 pm. Poor planning on my part.

livecoug 05-09-2006 05:11 PM

are yewts more spiritual? dang boys, i'm impressed.. i'm closer to how danimal does it..

Jeff Lebowski 05-09-2006 05:31 PM

I occasionally sneak home during sunday school and throw back a soda and a candy bar.

Oh, the shame....

SeattleUte 05-09-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danimal
Growing up my family would would eat through the evening on Saturday, then break the fast around 3 on Sunday afternoon, depending on when church ended. I still pretty much do the same thing. My in-laws, however, are uberfasters and go for the full 24 hours. They blow my mind. I feel exhausted doing just what I do. It doesn't help that my wife doesn't fast (breastfeeding) and watching her eat is torture. But who am I kidding, I wouldn't fast for longer if I was married to Ghandi.

So how long do you fast for?

Anyone makes little children go 24 hrs. without eating and I'm calling child protective services on them. It's not healthy for adults to do it either.

Jeff Lebowski 05-09-2006 08:22 PM

We do it as follows:

Under 8: no fasting
8-12: skip one meal
12+: skip two meals

bluegoose 05-09-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte
It's not healthy for adults to do it either.

What makes you say that fasting is unhealthy for a normal, healthy adult?

I've not heard or read anything that would indicate that missing 2 meals will cause any long-term negative effects.

fusnik11 05-09-2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluegoose
What makes you say that fasting is unhealthy for a normal, healthy adult?

I've not heard or read anything that would indicate that missing 2 meals will cause any long-term negative effects.

I bet David Blaine could do it without any ill affects.....

UteStar 05-09-2006 09:27 PM

Man I am pathetic...I usually eat dinner on Saturday night and then I eat after church. So I guess I skip 2 meals