cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   If you are not a practicing LDS member or evangelical (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22637)

Archaea 09-18-2008 09:43 PM

If you are not a practicing LDS member or evangelical

do you still encourage for health or other reasons, i.e., unwanted pregnancies, your underage to avoid premarital sex?

CardiacCoug 09-19-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 267036)
do you still encourage for health or other reasons, i.e., unwanted pregnancies, your underage to avoid premarital sex?

Underage sex would be opposed by many non-religious people, but not premarital sex.

If by "underage" you mean under 18, I think there would be a significant percentage of non-religious parents who would tell their children not to have sex for health and emotional reasons.

However, the "premarital" portion of your question does not apply to people outside of conservative religions. Who among the non-religious would advise their 25-year old engaged son or daughter to hold off on sex until after marriage? Probably literally nobody.

Archaea 09-19-2008 04:09 PM

Good question but I see only the practicing members are answering.

I mean sex by minors.

I had one mother I know who took her daughter down to get the pill and paid for her 16 year old daughter to room with her 17 year old boy friend.

Archaea 09-19-2008 04:24 PM

Let me state, as LDS my answer should be obvious but I can see no societal benefits of teenagers having sex.

They're not smart enough to avoid problems which can result. They're not financially secure or mature enough to rear children and they just are mature enough emotionally to deal with the consequences.

Should non LDS steer clear after that? Hmm.

Perhaps some marital problems could be avoided if they experimented enough responsibly. For LDS it violates our code so it should be avoided.

MikeWaters 09-19-2008 04:28 PM

SU, is your freshman daughter at Wash. St. in a sorority?

SeattleUte 09-19-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 267277)
SU, is your freshman daughter at Wash. St. in a sorority?

None of your business.

marsupial 09-19-2008 05:03 PM

The photographer who took our engagement photos only had one dressing room in his studio and I am pretty sure he thought it was really weird that I went in by myself, changed my clothes and came out and let danimal have a turn.

I don't know of any church that pays as close attention to the law of chastity as the Mormons do. I mean, are there churches out their that deny a couple the opportunity to marry under their roof if the couple has not been fully chaste?

Tex 09-19-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsupial (Post 267299)
I don't know of any church that pays as close attention to the law of chastity as the Mormons do. I mean, are there churches out their that deny a couple the opportunity to marry under their roof if the couple has not been fully chaste?

Minor quibble: we don't deny a couple the opportunity to marry. We suspend the opportunity to be sealed by the power of the priesthood in the temple. They can still marry, and in the church too.

I say "minor" but it's actually a significant distinction.

marsupial 09-19-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 267322)
Minor quibble: we don't deny a couple the opportunity to marry. We suspend the opportunity to be sealed by the power of the priesthood.

I say "minor" but it's actually a significant distinction.

My question is: are there any priests or pastors out there telling couples, "what, you felt her up last night? Well, you can't married in this church... at least not until you've fully repented."

MikeWaters 09-19-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleUte (Post 267288)
None of your business.

Your daughter is under somewhat of a microscope given that some of us are interested in whether she adopts your world-view.