cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Secondary lineup (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23362)

jay santos 10-06-2008 06:39 PM

Secondary lineup

When Bradley picked up the ball and ran it in for the touchdown, Howard and Johnson were both in on the play. Were we in a nickel or was Johnson playing a safety position? I hate watching on TV when you can't tell who's in and what's going on.

cougjunkie 10-06-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 275566)
When Bradley picked up the ball and ran it in for the touchdown, Howard and Johnson were both in on the play. Were we in a nickel or was Johnson playing a safety position? I hate watching on TV when you can't tell who's in and what's going on.

If Bradley is in the game we are playing Nickel. Which means Johnson is covering the slot.

Goatnapper'96 10-06-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 275566)

I don't know but the on the ball play Bradley made on his interception, that was negated by Daniel Sorenson's late hit on the Aggie qb, has me convinced that more of him at corner is a good thing. I think the defensive backfield will be pretty good next year. For the life of me I just can't figure out why they did not move Ashworth to safety. I forsee Johnson making a permanent home at safety next year and I think Andrew Rich humbly incorporated coach Jaimie Hill's "Son, we don't play pussies." counsel. I think they will be adequate, but even if Pendleton continues to make progress that is only one backup at safety unless Shiloah doesn't go on a mission. I like Bradley as boundary as in what I have seen of him he is always making plays. How many fumbles or interceptions has he been integral in in his few reps? Coincidence perhaps? I think to some extent but when you are a good athlete you can always make things happen. BB is a good athlete. I expect Brandon Howard to be solid at the other corner next year, similar jump as the short kid whose name I forgot from '05-'06. Robinson, I think.

jay santos 10-06-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 275574)
I don't know but the on the ball play Bradley made on his interception, that was negated by Daniel Sorenson's late hit on the Aggie qb, has me convinced that more of him at corner is a good thing. I think the defensive backfield will be pretty good next year. For the life of me I just can't figure out why they did not move Ashworth to safety. I forsee Johnson making a permanent home at safety next year and I think Andrew Rich humbly incorporated coach Jaimie Hill's "Son, we don't play pussies." counsel. I think they will be adequate, but even if Pendleton continues to make progress that is only one backup at safety unless Shiloah doesn't go on a mission. I like Bradley as boundary as in what I have seen of him he is always making plays. How many fumbles or interceptions has he been integral in in his few reps? Coincidence perhaps? I think to some extent but when you are a good athlete you can always make things happen. BB is a good athlete. I expect Brandon Howard to be solid at the other corner next year, similar jump as the short kid whose name I forgot from '05-'06. Robinson, I think.

We also have Robbie Buckner coming back, who may not play right away, but who I expect to be a future star at CB.

Very nice to have some degree of confidence in that position for the next few years.

Goatnapper'96 10-06-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 275580)
We also have Robbie Buckner coming back, who may not play right away, but who I expect to be a future star at CB.

Very nice to have some degree of confidence in that position for the next few years.

I think Bradley, Pittman and Buckner all have all conference potential. Pittman might not be able to stay healthy enough to realize that potential.

cougjunkie 10-06-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 275586)
I think Bradley, Pittman and Buckner all have all conference potential. Pittman might not be able to stay healthy enough to realize that potential.

We also have Gary Nagy and Brannon Brooks who if they ever grasp the schemes and the defense both have talent.

Goatnapper'96 10-06-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougjunkie (Post 275596)
We also have Gary Nagy and Brannon Brooks who if they ever grasp the schemes and the defense both have talent.

I occasionally hear about Brooks but Nagy has fallen off the face of the planet, is he just not smart? I thought that in time his position is likely to be back at one of the safety slots. Perhaps that is why Ashworth was not moved to safety as he requested. Gotta feel for Luke, pretty good player but won't see too many reps because of talent at wide receiver at BYU. That ain't something that is likely to happen very frequently.

I am convinced that BYU will have its best wide receivers ever next year in Collie, Chambers and Jacobsen IF Chambers catches on mentally. I would think with the rest of this year and spring ball he should be fine by then.

Hot Lunch 10-06-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 (Post 275574)

I think Anderw Rich has made huge strides this fall. He has played extremely well in his chances. Talking about not playing pussies is the exact reason why Jordan Pendleton is not on the field.

From what I have been told Shiloah is not going on a mission next year. I can easily see Scott Johnson moving over to FS and Shiloah playing SS with Bradley and Howard/Pittman at corner next year. I can also see Rich winning the job as well at FS.

jay santos 10-06-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Lunch (Post 275649)
I think Anderw Rich has made huge strides this fall. He has played extremely well in his chances. Talking about not playing pussies is the exact reason why Jordan Pendleton is not on the field.

From what I have been told Shiloah is not going on a mission next year. I can easily see Scott Johnson moving over to FS and Shiloah playing SS with Bradley and Howard/Pittman at corner next year. I can also see Rich winning the job as well at FS.

What's the deal with Pendleton? Looked like a stud in the Wyoming game.

Hot Lunch 10-06-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 275661)
What's the deal with Pendleton? Looked like a stud in the Wyoming game.

In practice he is very passive and won't come up and make plays. He practices like he doesn't understand what is going on out there and he never hit people.