cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Are non-English wards/branches in America a failure? (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23400)

MikeWaters 10-07-2008 04:18 PM

Are non-English wards/branches in America a failure?

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...00&postcount=9

Should they be disbanded entirely?

il Padrino Ute 10-07-2008 04:20 PM

There are several here in SLC that are doing well.

Perhaps you Texans just can't do it.

Levin 10-07-2008 04:26 PM

I think they should be disbanded. The only reason for their existence is the language barrier. Is that enough to separate us? Think of all that we share.

I think the existence of segregated wards is evidence of a gigantic missed opportunity.

Goatnapper'96 10-07-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 276017)
I think they should be disbanded. The only reason for their existence is the language barrier. Is that enough to separate us? Think of all that we share.

I think the existence of segregated wards is evidence of a gigantic missed opportunity.

Yo quiero this post! Resistance is futule, all should be assimilated!

Archaea 10-07-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levin (Post 276017)

The only question I have, who will be lost if we disband them?

I don't know.

MikeWaters 10-07-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 276026)
The only question I have, who will be lost if we disband them?

I don't know.

I hometeach a lady who has been inactive since the Asian branch was disbanded.

You'll lose a lot of the non-converted social members.

Archaea 10-07-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWaters (Post 276039)
I hometeach a lady who has been inactive since the Asian branch was disbanded.

You'll lose a lot of the non-converted social members.

We do a bad job or of re-integrating members when we disbanded or kicked out of singles wards, but the administration grinds forward. Unless they can transition those members, I hope they never do it. Many Christian denominations have foreign languages congregations.

BlueK 10-07-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archaea (Post 276048)
We do a bad job or of re-integrating members when we disbanded or kicked out of singles wards, but the administration grinds forward. Unless they can transition those members, I hope they never do it. Many Christian denominations have foreign languages congregations.

they need to either phase out singles wards or change the rules. Whether they want to pay attention to it or not, it's a fact people are getting married older these days. Once people leave the YSA ward it takes a pretty solid grounding in the gospel to not go inactive or only partially active, and for those who hit the dreaded age of 30 the church provides basically no social options. Sending them to the same singles group their parents or grandparents are in doesn't make much sense to me or anyone I know.

BigFatMeanie 10-07-2008 06:55 PM

Doctrine and Covenants 90:11

Quote:

11 For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ.
I suppose one could argue that this scripture pertains only to missionary work...

MikeWaters 10-07-2008 07:08 PM

It shall come to pass that there will be separate groups, set aside from the rest, where the gospel will be weak, and no boys will become missionaries, and no girls marry in the temple, and yea, their progrency will wax weaker until they are no more numbered among his sheep.