cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Closing Temples (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24176)

DrumNFeather 10-31-2008 05:01 PM

Closing Temples

Admittedly, I am happily far far away from the Prop 8 situation in California. However, being LDS and on a ward mailing list somehow does not prevent me from getting all of the emails about prop 8. I haven't done a ton of research into it, but I heard from someone the other day that if gay marriage was legal in California, the church might be forced to close its temples.

I guess my question is two fold: 1)Has anyone else heard this? 2)For you many lawyer types...does the legalization of gay marriage in CA put a clock ticking on someone suing to get married in one of our temples? Thus the need for closing?

I would think that nobody would try that because we don't let our own members in sometimes for various reasons...and to my knowledge nobody has tried to sue over that...so why would this be any different?

Thanks.

BYU71 10-31-2008 05:05 PM

Are there any countries where the church has Temples and the gospel is moving forth where gay marriage is allowed?

I am just uninformed on the subject and am curious if countries where gay marriage is allowed a great blight has fallen upon the land.

jay santos 10-31-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 287332)
Admittedly, I am happily far far away from the Prop 8 situation in California. However, being LDS and on a ward mailing list somehow does not prevent me from getting all of the emails about prop 8. I haven't done a ton of research into it, but I heard from someone the other day that if gay marriage was legal in California, the church might be forced to close its temples.

I guess my question is two fold: 1)Has anyone else heard this? 2)For you many lawyer types...does the legalization of gay marriage in CA put a clock ticking on someone suing to get married in one of our temples? Thus the need for closing?

I would think that nobody would try that because we don't let our own members in sometimes for various reasons...and to my knowledge nobody has tried to sue over that...so why would this be any different?

Thanks.

We've had four years now in MA since gay marriage was legalized with a temple there in Boston. I would think if there is any legitimacy to this claim, that we would have heard a lot more of it by now.

Those kind of emails and that kind of fear tactic seems extremely manipulative and immature.

DrumNFeather 10-31-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay santos (Post 287337)
We've had four years now in MA since gay marriage was legalized with a temple there in Boston. I would think if there is any legitimacy to this claim, that we would have heard a lot more of it by now.

Those kind of emails and that kind of fear tactic seems extremely manipulative and immature.

That's kind of what I was thinking...isn't it legal in Hawaii as well?

Surfah 10-31-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumNFeather (Post 287338)
That's kind of what I was thinking...isn't it legal in Hawaii as well?

That was voted down a long time ago. But they recognize civil unions. Not "marriage."

Tex 10-31-2008 05:35 PM

The threat of closing temples is a little extreme. It could potentially come to that, I suppose, but that would be the nuclear option.

More likely would be lawsuits that would force churches (not only ours) to perform gay marriages. Yes, I know ... I've read all the lawyers who say it's impossible. I don't believe them.

I also don't believe that just because that hasn't yet happened in Massachusetts, it means it couldn't.

Mormon Red Death 10-31-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYU71 (Post 287336)
Are there any countries where the church has Temples and the gospel is moving forth where gay marriage is allowed?

I am just uninformed on the subject and am curious if countries where gay marriage is allowed a great blight has fallen upon the land.

canada has several temples and allows gay marriage...

If you talk to tooblue he will say its only a matter of time till he gets thrown in jail for preaching homosexuality is evil from the pulpit (hate speech).

I was in canada 2 weeks ago and it looks the same to me.

TripletDaddy 10-31-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tex (Post 287350)
The threat of closing temples is a little extreme. It could potentially come to that, I suppose, but that would be the nuclear option.

More likely would be lawsuits that would force churches (not only ours) to perform gay marriages. Yes, I know ... I've read all the lawyers who say it's impossible. I don't believe them.

I also don't believe that just because that hasn't yet happened in Massachusetts, it means it couldn't.

Under what legal authority would someone be able to sue a church for not performing gay marriage?

SeattleUte 10-31-2008 05:42 PM

Fear mongering. As usual, truth is no impediment to any position.

BlueHair 10-31-2008 05:43 PM

Heterosexual marriage is legal and to my knowledge, the church hasn't been forced to marry any straight people yet. Why would gay marriage be different?