cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board

cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/index.php)
-   Religion (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I am speaking in Sac Meeting Sunday (http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24797)

NorCal Cat 11-20-2008 10:36 PM

I am speaking in Sac Meeting Sunday

Assigned topic is: "the importance of a grateful heart in maintaining an eternal perspective"

Suggestions?

ute4ever 11-21-2008 12:05 AM

Elder Tingey recently said, in the premortal world, when everyone saw God's plan and shouted for joy, they saw everything, including the pains and sufferings that they would have to endure here in mortality. Regardless, having knowledge of what the future has in store beyond the struggles of mortality, elicited a very joyful reaction.

To that end, if a person keeps an eternal perspective when hardships come, there should be a balance of gratitude amongst the sorrow.

Archaea 11-21-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ute4ever (Post 295904)
Elder Tingey recently said, in the premortal world, when everyone saw God's plan and shouted for joy, they saw everything, including the pains and sufferings that they would have to endure here in mortality. Regardless, having knowledge of what the future has in store beyond the struggles of mortality, elicited a very joyful reaction.

To that end, if a person keeps an eternal perspective when hardships come, there should be a balance of gratitude amongst the sorrow.

Herein lies the beginning of our theology, speculative reasoning of what the hereafter or antemortal existence was like. I would speculate that Elder Tingey has had no vision of the antemortal existence so he's merely speculating about it based on writings from Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, as New Mormonism invites no visions as opposed to Original Mormonism.

ute4ever 11-21-2008 12:41 AM

I agree Arch, ET was merely relaying what had already been said by JS somewhere, and applying it to the theme of 21st century hardships.

CardiacCoug 11-21-2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal Cat (Post 295893)
Assigned topic is: "the importance of a grateful heart in maintaining an eternal perspective"

Suggestions?

Make sure you say "Everything happens for a reason" repeatedly throughout your talk.

That's one of my favorite gospel principles.

BlueHair 11-21-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCoug (Post 295915)
Make sure you say "Everything happens for a reason" repeatedly throughout your talk.

That's one of my favorite gospel principles.

LOL! My wife and I hate that one. She always tells me she is going to have toilet paper printed up with "Everything happens for a reason" and the Footprints in the Sand poem.

BlueHair 11-21-2008 01:45 AM

I dare you to quote "The Secret" in your talk. Gratitude is a big portion of The Secret.

BarbaraGordon 11-21-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHair (Post 295916)
LOL! My wife and I hate that one. She always tells me she is going to have toilet paper printed up with "Everything happens for a reason" and the Footprints in the Sand poem.

God works in mysterious ways.

CardiacCoug 11-21-2008 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon (Post 295919)
God works in mysterious ways.

Mormons aren't really fans of that cliche for some reason.

However we like the quote "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." We're pretty sure Jesus said that in the Bible somewhere.

BlueHair 11-21-2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardiacCoug (Post 295922)
Mormons aren't really fans of that cliche for some reason.

However we like the quote "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." We're pretty sure Jesus said that in the Bible somewhere.

How can God's ways be mysterious, when you have revelation? :)